Breaking Down The 2015 Tennessee Volunteers
Tennessee punctuated a turnaround season by beating Iowa 45 to 28 in the Taxslayer.com Bowl. Under Coach Butch Jones, Tennessee has improved every year and will continue to look for improvement this season. The Vols bring back 17 starters from last year’s 22 starters. One of the starters is QB Joshua Dobbs. Dobbs has plenty to work with. The expectations are high for the Volunteers to challenge Georgia for the SEC East Division. Will disappointment reign once again at Tennessee? Or, will the Volunteers finally become elite again?
2015 Tennessee Volunteers Preview
- Conferences: SEC
- Conference Champion: 13 Times
- Bowls: 50 Bowls, 26-24, .520 W-L% (Major Bowls)
- 2014 Season Summary Record: 7-6, .538 W-L% (58th of 128)
- Conference Record: 3-5 SEC (East Division)
- Points scored per game: 28.9 (64th of 128)
- Points allowed per game: 24.2 (36th of 128)
- Bowl Game: Won TaxSlayer Bowl 45-28 versus Iowa
- Coach: Butch Jones (7-6)
Tennessee Volunteers Futures Betting Odds:
- To Win the National Championship: +7000
- To Win the SEC Conference: +1100
- To Win the SEC East Division: +260
2014 Tennessee Volunteers Betting Trends:
- Overall Against the Spread Record: 7-6
- ATS Record at home: 5-3
- ATS Record away from home: 2-3
- ATS Record as favorites: 4-4
- ATS Record as underdogs: 3-2
- Over/Under Record: 6-6
Key Players Lost To The 2015 NFL Draft:
2015 Tennessee Volunteers Offense:
Joshua Dobbs is one of the better quarterbacks in the SEC. After taking over for Justin Worley in November last season, Dobbs threw for 1206 yards and 9 touchdowns. He threw 6 picks, but his rushing stats were so terrific, 469 yards and 8 touchdowns, that Vols’ fans had to forgive Dobbs for the picks. Dobbs accounted for 3 touchdowns in the Taxslayer.com Bowl. He threw for 1 and rushed for 2.
Dobbs has a couple of running backs in Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara that should help the cause. Hurd and Kamara are both capable of picking up yardage with Kamara having the ability of taking it to the house with his speed. Marquez North should be one of the best wide receivers in the SEC if not in the entire country.
But there is one issue that could derail the offense. The offensive line gave up more sacks than almost any other offensive line in the nation. That’s not a good thing since the defenses in the SEC are usually aggressive and dominant. If Dobbs can’t stay healthy, Tennessee is going to be in for a long season.
2015 Tennessee Volunteers Defense:
The Volunteers are stacked on defense. The defensive line is one of the best in the nation. Curt Maggitt and Derek Barnett can be dominant players in the trenches. Cornerback Cameron Sutton will be counted on to shut down the best receivers in the SEC while safety Brian Randolph is one of those classic SEC hard hitting safeties that defensive coordinators covet. The defense gave up 364.6 yards per game in 2014. Expect the Vols to be much better in that category in 2015.
Tennessee embracing culture under Butch Jones http://t.co/ks1xeRtrwV— ESPN SEC (@ESPN_SEC) July 14, 2015
2015 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule:
- Sat, Sept 5 TEN vs Bowling Green* 4:00 PM ET
- Sat, Sept 12 TEN vs Oklahoma 6:00 PM ET | ESPN
- Sat, Sept 19 TEN vs W Carolina 7:00 PM ET | ESPNU
- Sat, Sept 26 TEN @ Florida TBD
- Sat, Oct 3 TEN vs Arkansas TBD
- Sat, Oct 10 TEN vs Georgia TBD
- Sat, Oct 24 TEN @ Alabama TBD
- Sat, Oct 31 TEN @ Kentucky TBD
- Sat, Nov 7 TEN vs South Carolina TBD
- Sat, Nov 14 TEN vs North Texas TBD
- Sat, Nov 21 TEN @ Missouri TBD
- Sat, Nov 28 TEN vs Vanderbilt TBD
Tennessee Volunteers Betting Outlook:
Jones could have the team to upset Georgia in the SEC East Division and get to the SEC Championship. The Volunteers are loaded on defense and have a legitimate star quarterback in Joshua Dobbs. The running backs and wide receivers add richness to the skill positions. The problem lies with the offensive line. It should play well enough for Tennessee to challenge for the SEC East. Winning the SEC outright doesn’t appear possible.
Connect With Tennessee Volunteers: