Is it too early to think about the Belmont Stakes? Heck, no! This is especially true since early Belmont Stakes odds are out. With Cloud Computing and Always Dreaming not running, Classic Empire is a huge early 3/2 favorite to win the Belmont Stakes on June 10. I don’t think he’s a lock. Who do I like as my key horse in the exacta? Keep reading to find out!
Early 2017 Belmont Stakes Odds
- Classic Empire – 3/2
- Lookin At Lee – 6/1
- Irish War Cry – 8/1
- Senior Investment – 10/1
- Tapwrit – 10/1
- Ephicharis – 12/1
- Twisted Tom – 15/1
- Gormly – 15/1
- Conquest Mo Money – 20/1
- J Boyz Echo – 20/1
- Multiplier – 20/1
- Patch – 20/1
- Meantime – 30/1
- True Timber – 40/1
What is an exacta bet?
You bet an exacta by selecting a minimum two horses to finish first and second. These horses must finish first and second, in that order, for you to win the wager.
If picking two horses in order sounds too difficult, you can “box” your wager. A boxed wager will win if your horses finish 1st and 2nd, in any order, making it more likely for you to win.
The increased level of difficutly in picking a winning exacta bet yeilds a bigger payout than a traditional Kentucky Derby Win-Place-Show bet. The minimum bet for an exacta or exacta box wager is only $2.
Early 2017 Belmont Stakes Exacta Pick
What: 2017 Belmont Stakes
When: June 10, 2017
Start Time: 6:48 PM ET
Where: Elmont, New York
Track: Belmont Park
Stream: NBC Sports Live
2017 Belmont Stakes Exacta Key Horse Pick: Tapwrit 10-1
He was terrible, like so many talented three-year-olds are, in the Kentucky Derby. But, like I’ve written during the entire Triple Crown, the move with Tapwrit is a winning one for trainer Todd Pletcher. Pletcher often skips the second jewel of the Triple Crown, the Preakness Stakes. He had to run Always Dreaming two weeks back in the Preakness because that horse won the Kentucky Derby.
Tapwrit showed during his Tampa Bay Derby win that he has some talent. He can lay close if need be, or come from the clouds if the pace is strong. I love his chances to get into the exacta on June 10.
Horses to Use in My 2017 Belmont Stakes Exacta Pick
- Classic Empire 3/2 – He ran too well to lose the Preakness Stakes. It’s tough when you bury the Derby winner only to get caught in the final jumps by a 14 to 1 shot. That’s what happened to Classic Empire. He has every right to win the Belmont. The only issue I have is that the Test of Champions will be his third race in 5 weeks. Tough to make him the key horse at low odds.
- Irish War Cry 8/1 – Like Tapwrit, he should have grown up some since his dull effort in the Kentucky Derby. Irish War Cry ran the entire race on the bad part of the track on May 6. There was no way he was going to get past Always Dreaming after having to run over the worst part of the track for the entire race. He’ll be ready on June 10 to show his best.
- Epicharis 12/1 – The Japanese invader deserves some respect. I don’t believe he beats Classic Empire, Tapwrit, or even Irish War Cry. But, I do feel that he’s classy enough to get into the exacta. I’d better put him on top just in case he pulls off a stunner.
- Gormley 15/1 – I just don’t feel he was mature enough to win the Kentucky Derby. A month off can really help three-year-olds get bigger physically. Mentally, he’s already there. Watch out for this guy.
- Patch 20/1 – The fact that he improved from post-position 20 to finish 14 in the Run for the Roses is a positive sign. Again, Todd Pletcher is great with this move, skipping the Preakness and running in the Belmont.
2017 Belmont Stakes Exacta Ticket
I’m keying Tapwrit on top. Then, I’m keying him on the bottom of the exacta for less. I’m also playing a big exacta box with Classic Empire.
$15 Exacta Box
Tapwrit – Classic Empire
Tapwrit w/Irish War Cry, Epicharis, Gormley, Patch
Irish War Cry, Epicharis, Gormley, Patch w/Tapwrit
Total Exacta Cost = $50