The 2020 College Football season starts this week and here are all of the MUST-WATCH games you need to target!
2020 College Football Week 1 Must-Watch Games
South Alabama at Southern Mississippi
- Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 9:00 PM ET
- TV: CBSSN
- NCAAF Odds: Southern Mississippi -14
South Alabama is coming off a dismal 2-10 campaign in the Sun Belt conference but returns four starters on the offensive line, running back Tra Minter and quarterback Desmond Trotter. The bad news is that the Jaguars have lost six defensive starters from a year ago. Southern Mississippi went 7-6 in Conference USA but capped off its 2019 campaign with a humbling 30-13 loss against Tulane in the Armed Forces Bowl. The good news is that senior quarterback Jack Abraham is back under center after throwing for 3,496 yards and 19 touchdowns a year ago and he’ll have wideout Kim Jones back after he caught 73 balls for 902 yards and three scores.
- South Alabama is 4-1 ATS in their last five games.
- South Alabama is 1-9 SU in their last 10 games.
- The Total has gone Under in seven of South Alabama’s last 10 games.
- Southern Miss is 7-1 SU in their last eight home games.
- Southern Miss is 5-0 ATS in their last five season openers.
- Southern Miss is 13-5 SU in their last 18 games against a Sun Belt opponent.
Middle Tennessee State at Army
- Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 1:30 PM ET
- TV: CBSSN
- NCAAF Odds: Army -5
This will be the first-ever meeting between Independent Army and Conference-USA resident Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders are coming off a dismal 4-8 season but they have five returning starters on the offensive line. Junior quarterback Asher O’Hara is back, but seven of Middle Tennessee’s top 12 tacklers are gone. Army is coming off an uninspiring 5-8 campaign in 2019 but has 13 starters back, though head coach Jeff Monken will have a new starting quarterback in junior Jabari Laws. On defense, the Black Knights need to find replacements for leading tackler Cole Christiansen and cornerback Elijah Riley who led the team in sacks and interceptions.
- Middle Tennessee is 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games.
- Middle Tennessee is 4-10 SU in their last 14 games.
- Middle Tennessee is 0-7 SU in their last 7 road games.
- Army is 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games.
- Army is 2-7 SU in their last 9 games.
- Army is 16-2 SU in their last 18 home games.
SMU at Texas State
- Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 4:30 PM ET
- TV: ESPN
- NCAAF Odds: SMU -20.5
SMU reached the double-digit win mark a year ago under head coach Sonny Dykes by going 10-3 out of the AAC. Quarterback Shane Buechele threw for 3,929 yards and 34 touchdowns last season and he’ll have two of his top targets back in wideout Reggie Roberson and tight end Kylen Granson. Unfortunately, SMU’s defense was awful in allowing 33.4 points a game last season.
Texas State went a dismal 3-9 out of the Sun Belt Conference a year ago under ow, second-year head coach Jake Spavital while averaging a modest 18.4 points per game. The Bobcats will have a new quarterback under center after last season’s starter, Gresch Jensen entered the transfer portal. Last season, SMU beat Texas State in Dallas, 47-17
- Southern Methodist is 1-4-1 ATS in their last 6 games.
- Southern Methodist is 10-3 SU in their last 13 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Southern Methodist’s last 13 games.
- Texas State has gone 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games.
- Texas State is 1-6 SU in their last 7 games.
- Texas State is 1-4 ATS in their last 5 Week 1 games.
Arkansas State at Memphis
- Saturday, September 5, 2020 8:00 PM
- TV: ESPN
- NCAAF Odds: Memphis -15.5
Arkansas State went a solid 8-5 out of the Sun Belt Conference in 2019 but need to improve a defense that gave up an overly generous 34.2 points per game. Either Logan Bonner or Layne Hatche will be under center for a Red Wolves team that put up 33.7 points per game a year ago. Memphis went a stellar 12-2 out of the AAC a year ago, but the Tigers will have a new head coach in 2020 in Ryan Silverfield. Starting quarterback and running back Brady White and Kenneth Gainwell are back while the defense returns seven starters from a unit that limited the opposition to 26.4 points per game.
- Arkansas State is 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games.
- Arkansas State is 5-1 SU in their last 6 games.
- Arkansas State is 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games against Memphis.
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Memphis’ last 11 games.
- Memphis is 7-1 SU in their last 8 games.
- Memphis is 8-0 SU in their last 8 games at home.
BYU at Navy
- Monday, September 7, 2020 at 8:00 PM ET
- TV: ESPN
- NCAAF Odds: Navy -2
BYU is coming off a modest 7-6 season in 2019 under head coach Kalani Sitake. Junior quarterback Zach Wilson is back as is future NFL performer, tight end Matt Bushman, though the Cougars lost their top three receivers from last season. On defense, BYU needs to find replacements for starting safeties Dayan Ghanwoloku and Austin Lee, but they get two players back that missed almost all of 2019 because of injury in linebacker Zayne Anderson and defensive back Chris Wilcox.
Navy went 11-2 out of the AAC last season for head coach Ken Niumatalolo but suffered a tremendous loss as quarterback Malcolm Perry is gone after setting an FBS record for rushing yards for a quarterback (2,017). Still, Navy has almost all of their skill position players back and they only lost three defensive starters to graduation.
- Brigham Young is 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games.
- Brigham Young is 5-2 SU in their last 7 games.
- Brigham Young is 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games on the road.
- Navy is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games.
- Navy is 9-1 SU in their last 10 games.
- Navy is 7-0 SU in their last 7 games at home.
UAB at Miami Florida
- Thursday, September 10, 2020 at TBD
- NCAAF Odds: Miami -15.5
Alabama-Birmingham went 9-5 out of Conference USA last season and returns a whopping 19 combined starters on both sides of the ball, including starting quarterback Tyler Johnson. Running back Spencer Brown is the program’s all-time leading rusher as he enters his senior season while wide receiver Austin Watkins became just the third receiver in program history to record more than 1,000 receiving yards in a season. Edge rusher Jordan Smith and linebacker Kristopher Moll are legitimate NFL prospects and will anchor the defense.
Miami went 6–7 in 2019 under head coach Manny Diaz and closed out their campaign with a humbling shutout loss to Louisiana Tech in the Independence Bowl. The good news is that the ‘Canes will have gifted former dual-threat Houston quarterback D’Eriq King under center in 2020 along with NFL prospects in star tight end Brevin Jordan and running back Cam’Ron Harris. Miami needs to fix an offensive line that gave up a whopping 51 sacks a year ago. Defensively, the Hurricanes have a star in defensive end Gregory Rousseau (15.5 sacks) and they added former Temple All-American defensive end Quincy Roche.
- Alabama-Birmingham is 11-5 SU in their last 16 games.
- Alabama-Birmingham is 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games on the road.
- Alabama-Birmingham is0-5 SU in their last 5 games against an ACC opponent.
- Miami-FL is 16-4 SU in their last 20 games at home.
- Miami-FL is 11-2 SU in their last 13 games against a Conference USA conference opponent.
- The total has gone UNDER in 13 of Miami-FL’s last 20 games.