2017 Kentucky Derby Exacta PickJosh Bailey
The field for the 2017 Kentucky Derby is set and the morning line odds are out. One of the best wagers to make is the exacta. That’s because the Kentucky Derby exacta pool should be over $3 million. It might get over $4 million or even $5 million. What exacta am I going to play on Saturday? Check it out!
What is an exacta bet?
You bet an exacta by selecting a minimum two horses to finish first and second. These horses must finish first and second, in that order, for you to win the wager.
If picking two horses in order sounds too difficult, you can “box” your wager. A boxed wager will win if your horses finish 1st and 2nd, in any order, making it more likely for you to win.
The increased level of difficutly in picking a winning exacta bet yeilds a bigger payout than a traditional Kentucky Derby Win-Place-Show bet. The minimum bet for an exacta or exacta box wager is only $2.
2017 Kentucky Derby Exacta Pick
What: 2017 Kentucky Derby
When: May 6, 2117
Post Time: 6:34 PM ET
Where: Louisville, Kentucky
Stadium: Churchill Downs
Stream: NBC Sports Live
2017 Kentucky Derby Exacta Key Horse: 17-Irish War Cry
He’s the most impressive horse running in this year’s Kentucky Derby. Distance won’t be an issue because his dad is Curlin. He also got a decent draw due to the only real speed being inside of him is Battle of Midway. I see Irish War Cry getting a dream trip in Derby 143. He should be impossible to pass once he takes passes Battle of Midway in the stretch.
2017 Kentucky Derby Exact Place Horses
- 5-Always Dreaming – Although I’m really worried about the fact that he trained in draw reigns, his talent is unquestionable. Todd Pletcher remains one of the best trainers on the planet. I must include him.
- 8-Hence – His turn of foot is too impressive to ignore. He could improve in the Kentucky Derby. That makes him a tough horse to leave off any of my tickets. If the pace is swift, he could come rolling home for the win.
- 11-Battle of Midway – There isn’t nearly as much speed in this year’s Kentucky Derby as there usually is. Battle of Midway ran 6 furlongs in the Santa Anita Derby in 1:10.4. He held on to finish second. He’s not just a speedball, either, as he can relax off the pace. There’s a chance that Irish War Cry and Battle of Midway run 1-2.
- 14-Classic Empire – Yes, he doesn’t like to train. Yes, he’s difficult to handle. But, he’s still the most accomplished runner in this field. No other horse can claim to be a champion. No other horse has run as fast as he did in his Breeders’ Cup Juvenile win. I’m not in love with Classic Empire to win the Kentucky Derby. But, like Always Dreaming, I can’t leave him off my tickets.
- 15-McCraken – I must admit, I was ready to throw this guy out of all my exotic plays. Then, I watched how well he’s taken to the Churchill Downs track. McCraken might have a home track advantage since he’s won 3 races over the Churchill Downs dirt.
- 19-Practical Joke – Since he was the only horse closing against Irap in the Bluegrass Stakes, I must give him props. If he moves forward, which is going to be hard to do, he can win the Kentucky Derby. So, he’s a must use.
My 2017 Kentucky Derby Exacta Bets
17 over 5, 8, 11, 14, 15, 19
$6 x 6 = $36
5,8,11,14,15,19 over 17
$3 x 6 = $18
Total Exacta Cost = $54