If a Kentucky Derby exacta bet doesn’t get you deep enough into the action, try a trifecta. It’s one of my favorite bets at the racetrack. I usually use a key horse and then 3 to 4 horses in the place slot. This year, my key horse is Irish War Cry. Check out my trifecta picks for the 2017 Kentucky Derby!
What is a trifecta bet?
You bet a trifecta by selecting a minimum three horses to finish first, second, and third. These horses must finish first, second, and third, in that exact order, for you to win the wager.
If picking three horses in order sounds too difficult you can “box” your wager. A boxed trifecta wager will win if your horses finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, in any order, making it more likely to win.
The minimum bet for a trifecta wager is only 50 cents and you can bet a trifecta box for as little as $3.
2017 Kentucky Derby Trifecta Pick
What: 2017 Kentucky Derby
When: May 6, 2117
Post Time: 6:34 PM ET
Where: Louisville, Kentucky
Stadium: Churchill Downs
Stream: NBC Sports Live
2017 Kentucky Derby Trifecta Key Horse: 17-Irish War Cry
If he’s worth a big win bet, he’s worth making the key horse in my trifecta wagers. I just don’t see how he finished worse than first or second in this race. He figures to get the perfect trip right off Battle of Midway’s hip. If that rival doesn’t want the lead, Irish War Cry will take it. Yes, he’s good enough to wire this field in Kentucky Derby 143.
2017 Kentucky Derby Trifecta Place Horses
- 5-Always Dreaming – Pletcher’s nut job of a horse is impossible to leave off any of my exotic tickets. I can’t do it because he’s so freaking talented. We’ll see what happens. But, I’d be kicking myself if he plopped up for second and I didn’t have him on there.
- 8-Hence – He could finish off the board, or win the Kentucky Derby. It all depends on if he takes a step forward. He’s been training awfully fast since getting back to Churchill Downs after winning the Sunland Derby.
- 11-Battle of Midway – I think he’s the most talented horse to come out of the Santa Anita Derby. He did all the running and it still took Gormley a gargantuan effort to pass him for the win.
- 14-Classic Empire – The two-year-old champ could show up big time, meaning that he could win the Derby going away.
2017 Kentucky Derby Trifecta Show Horses
- 1-Lookin At Lee – He flew home to finish third. If there’s a pace meltdown, he should at least have a shot for third place. Like Hence, he’s trained by Steve Asmussen.
- 2-Thunder Snow – One of these years, the greatest racing outfit in the world, Godolphin, is going to win the Kentucky Derby. There doesn’t appear to be any world beaters in this. No matter what, I’ve got put him in the trifecta.
- 5-Always Dreaming
- 7-Girvin – Although the Louisiana Derby winner is getting over a quarter crack, he’s still going to give it a go. I think he’s got a shot for third place. If he’s over the quarter crack, he could win. Just so everyone is aware, Girvin heads to the Derby as the horse with the most points, 150, of any of the entrants.
- 10-Gunnevera – Gunnevera is a straight closer. He bounced in the Florida Derby. The pace appears swift enough for him to close. Does he bounce back with a Top 3 finish on the First Saturday in May?
- 11 – Battle of Midway
- 14-Classic Empire
- 15-McCraken – I wish I could add him to the place spot in my trifecta. But, alas, I cannot. There’s only many dollars I’m going to put into the Kentucky Derby trifecta. Adding McCraken in the place slot would take me over my limit.
- 18-Gormley – He tries harder than any horse in the field. Trying hard usually doesn’t translate into a win. But, it can definitely translate into a third-place finish.
- 19-Practical Joke – Like McCraken, I sure wish I had the funds to put him into the place slot.
My 2017 Kentucky Derby Trifecta Bets
17 w/5,8,11,14 w/1,2,5,7,8,10,11,14,15,18,19
Trifecta Cost = $40
$1 Trifecta Saver
5,8,11,14 w/17 w/5,8,11,14
Trifecta Saver Cost = $16
Total Trifecta Costs = $56