Breeders’ Cup Classic Exacta PickJosh Bailey
The 2016 Breeders’ Cup is this week. There will be 13 races and $28 million worth of purses, but the main focus is centered on the $6-million Breeders’ Cup Classic on Saturday. It’s the ninth time Santa Anita has hosted horse racing’s world championships.
The Breeders’ Cup even-money Morning Line favorite is California Chrome, a 5-year-old California-bred son of Lucky Pulpit with a North American-record $13,432,650 in career earnings. The horse has won all six of his races in 2016. He drew No. 4 in a field of 10 for the 1 1/4-mile Classic and will be ridden by Victor Espinoza.
Nyquist, this year’s Kentucky Derby winner, wasn’t entered after suffering from a “puffy ankle” this past week and he has been retired.
Breeders’ Cup Classic Exacta Pick
What: 2016 Breeders Cup Classic
When: Saturday, November 5, 2016
Start Time: 8:30 PM ET
Where: Arcadia, CA
Stadium: Santa Anita Park
Stream: NBC Sports Live
Top of Exacta For The Breeders’ Cup Classic
- Arrogate – Baffert’s three-year-old monster is training lights out. Bob’s got a huge shot of winning his third straight Breeders’ Cup Classic with the Travers’ winner.
California Chrome – He puts his 6 race win streak on the line in the BC Classic. It’s hard to say if he’ll be able to catch Arrogate at super-fast Santa Anita.
- $30 Exacta
Arrogate w/California Chrome
- $15 Exacta
Bottom of Exacta For The Breeders’ Cup Classic
- Melatonin – I think he’ll be in perfect position to pick up third place. I don’t see him beating either one of the top 2 choices, though.
- Gun Runner – He made up a lot of ground in the Grade 2 Pennsylvania Derby in this last. Trainer Steve Asmussen is one of the best horse racing conditioners in the world. I think he’s a must use because he’s so gutsy.
- Hoppertunity – His win in the Jockey Club Gold Cup was exceptional. If the pace is swift enough, he could pop up for second.
- Shaman Ghost – I love how his form turned around big time in the Grade 1 Woodward. He’s a top notch closer sired by Ghostzapper, who won this race in 2004. Shaman Ghost has a shot to get into the exacta if California Chrome an Arrogate go after each other as soon as the gates open.
Breeders’ Cup $4 Exacta Wagers
Arrogate, California Chrome
Melatonin, Gun Runner, Hoppertunity, Shaman Ghost
Total Exacta Bets = $77
|1||Effinex||Flavien Prat||Jimmy Jerkens||15-1|
|2||Frosted||Joel Rosario||Kiaran McLaughlin||5-1|
|3||Keen Ice||Javier Castellano||Todd Pletcher||20-1|
|4||California Chrome||Victor Espinoza||Art Sherman||1-1|
|5||Win the Space||Gary Stevens||George Papaprodromou||30-1|
|6||Melatonin||Joe Talamo||David Hofmans||12-1|
|7||War Story||Scott Speith||Mario Serey Jr.||30-1|
|8||Sherman Ghost||Irad Ortiz Jr.||Jimmy Jerkens||20-1|
|9||Hoppertunity||John Velasquez||Bob Baffert||15-1|
|10||Arrogate||Mike Smith||Bob Baffert||5-2|