Breeders’ Cup Classic Superfecta PickJosh Bailey
Is the superfecta worth playing in this year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic? It absolutely is! Although it’s apparent that Arrogate and California Chrome are the 2 best horses in the race, the show slot, or even the place slot, could go to a long shot. The fourth slot is almost guaranteed to go to a long shot. Keep reading for my superfecta pick!
Breeders’ Cup Classic Superfecta Pick
What: 2016 Breeders Cup Classic
When: Saturday, November 5, 2016
Start Time: 8:30 PM ET
Where: Arcadia, CA
Stadium: Santa Anita Park
Stream: NBC Sports Live
Top of My Breeders’ Cup Superfecta Pick
- Arrogate – Checking out his work pattern gives horseplayers a clue as to what Bob Baffert is doing. He worked twice in September at 4 furlongs. In October, he worked once at 5 furlongs, twice at 7 furlongs, and once at 6 furlongs. Baffert knows he’s got speed. He wants to make sure Arrogate can carry his speed for 1 1/4 miles.
- California Chrome – Chrome is as professional a race horse as I’ve ever seen. He’s turned into Curlin this year. He’s going to be tough to beat for the win slot, meaning that I must use him on top in the super.
Place Slot in My Breeders’ Cup Superfecta Pick
- California Chrome
- Melatonin – The only horse that I think that could beat Arrogate and/or California Chrome for second is Melatonin. There are two ways that I see this happening. First, Melatonin could push Arrogate in a merry go around race while Chrome hangs back. Second, Melatonin could run past Arrogate if Arrogate throws in the towel due to pressure from California Chrome.
Show Slot in My Breeders’ Cup Superfecta Pick
- California Chrome
- Gun Runner – He’ll run his race, sitting about 5 to 6 lengths behind before making a move. I don’t think he beats the Top 3 for the place, but I do think he’s a solid choice for the show slot.
- Hoppertunity – The Baffert trained son of Any Given Saturday has won over $3.5 million during his career. He has never, ever, not put in a great effort. He’s a must use in the show slot.
Fourth Slot in My Breeders’ Cup Superfecta Pick
- California Chrome
- Gun Runner
- Frosted – The third choice to win the Classic this year has never had great success at 1 1/4 miles. I also believe his form may be going south after watching him hang in the Woodward.
- Shaman Ghost – If I could afford to put him in the third slot in my superfecta, I would. But, I can’t. I’ve only got $108 for this year’s superfecta wager.
- Effinex – When he’s on his game, he runs like one of the Top 5 handicap horses in the United States. When he’s not on top of his game, man, he’s bad! I think he could get up for fourth.
Found/Highland Reel – Aidan O’Brien is going to put only one of his superstar turf runners into the BC Classic. Both are good enough to finish fourth. The problem I have with both is that neither is bred for the dirt, or else I’d have each in the trifecta.
- Keen Ice – The win over American Pharoah in the Travers feels like a lifetime ago. He’s a must use for the fourth slot just because he should be closing. But, that’s it for this millionaire.
- Win the Space – Does he have a shot? Not on paper. But this is the Classic and Win the Space has speed in a race that appears to be lacking a lot of it. I think he could be a part of the merry go around on Nov. 5.
- War Story – On paper, he’s an absolute throw out. But when it comes to the superfecta in a big race, I’ve learned the hard way to never throw out any horse.
$1 Superfecta = $108
|1||Effinex||Flavien Prat||Jimmy Jerkens||15-1|
|2||Frosted||Joel Rosario||Kiaran McLaughlin||5-1|
|3||Keen Ice||Javier Castellano||Todd Pletcher||20-1|
|4||California Chrome||Victor Espinoza||Art Sherman||1-1|
|5||Win the Space||Gary Stevens||George Papaprodromou||30-1|
|6||Melatonin||Joe Talamo||David Hofmans||12-1|
|7||War Story||Scott Speith||Mario Serey Jr.||30-1|
|8||Sherman Ghost||Irad Ortiz Jr.||Jimmy Jerkens||20-1|
|9||Hoppertunity||John Velasquez||Bob Baffert||15-1|
|10||Arrogate||Mike Smith||Bob Baffert||5-2|