Early 2016 Preakness Stakes OddsSportbet.com Staff
The Preakness Stakes takes place on Saturday, May 21. Only the undefeated Nyquist, who easily won the Kentucky Derby as the 2 to 1 favorite on May 7, can win the Triple Crown. Could Nyquist complete the sweep ala American Pharoah in 2015?
To do so, he’s going to have to take down some new shooters in the Preakness Stakes. Keep reading for a rundown of his possible competition come the second jewel of the Triple Crown.
Analyzing The Early Preakness Stakes Odds
What: 2016 Preakness Stakes
When: Saturday, May 21, 2016
Post Time: 6:19 PM ET
Where: Baltimore, MD
Stadium: Pimlico Race Course
Stream: NBC Sports Live
- Nyquist -140 – Odds are too low even for the undefeated Derby Champion. I have to look elsewhere.
- Exaggerator +450 – His style says that he has no shot in Pimlico. Demand at least +600 before biting.
- Stradivari +1200 – His allowance win at Keeneland on April 17 was unbelievable. So far, he’s the one that I’m backing based on the odds. Johnny V. geared him down towards the end for the awesome win.
- Gun Runner +1400 – I love how he held on for third in the Derby. But that race may have taken too much out of him.
- Suddenbreakingnews +1400 – It’s going to be harder to close at Pimlico than it was at Churchill Downs. I don’t see a Top 3 finish.
- Destin +1600 – He needed the race at Churchill after the 8 week layoff. If Pletcher decides to enter him, he’ll be much tighter than he was on May 7, which should give him more of a shot.
- Mor Spirit +1600 – I think he’s tired. He worked too hard in the Santa Anita Derby, bounced in the Kentucky Derby, and should probably remain on the bench until the summer.
- Creator +1800 – Like the other Tapit horses in the Kentucky Derby, Creator wanted no part of 1 ¼ miles. He looks like a miler to me, meaning that if Steve Asmussen does right by the horse, he won’t even be in the starting gate come May 21.
- Outwork +2000 – The Derby was too much too soon for this guy. I think he could blossom come Saratoga. Todd Pletcher should just concentrate on Stradivari for the Preakness Stakes.
- Dazzling Gem +2000 – He’d have to improve big time in order to compete in the Preakness Stakes.
- Collected +2500 – This is Baffert’s secret weapon. I think that he could have a say in the outcome. He fights hard and runs near the front, which is what you want when facing a horse like Nyquist.
- Cherry Wine +2500 – He’s more of a closer than a presser. That style won’t help him against Nyquist.
- Swipe +2500 – Nyquist put a beat down on him in the BC Juvenile last year. His first race back at Keeneland was horrible. I don’t like his chances.
- Uncle Lino +3300 – He had not shot against Exaggerator or Nyquist at Santa Anita during the winter. I’d be surprised if he had a say in the outcome in the Preakness.
- Fellowship +3300 – This guy almost always clunks up for a Top 4 finish. That probably won’t happen on May 21 with Nyquist, Stradivari, Destin and Exaggerator in the field.
- Awesome Speed +3300 – You have to be a special horse in order to go to toe to with Nyquist. Awesome Speed isn’t a special horse.
- Lani +3300 – He wasn’t terrible in the Kentucky Derby. It’s just hard to see him breaking slow, like he always does, and keeping close to Stradivari and Nyquist in this.
- Laoban +4000 – He finished 4th in the Bluegrass Stakes behind Brody’s Cause, My Man Sam and Cherry Wine. What does that tell you?