The Belmont Stakes is called the Test of Champions for a reason. At 1 ½ miles, it’s the longest of the three races that make up the Triple Crown. While horses that ran in the Kentucky Derby usually have an edge in the Preakness Stakes, Cloud Computing notwithstanding, fresh horses have an edge in the Belmont. That’s why I can’t use Classic Empire, the 3/2 Belmont chalk, on top in my early trifecta play.
Early 2017 Belmont Stakes Odds
- Classic Empire – 3/2
- Lookin At Lee – 6/1
- Irish War Cry – 8/1
- Senior Investment – 10/1
- Tapwrit – 10/1
- Ephicharis – 12/1
- Twisted Tom – 15/1
- Gormly – 15/1
- Conquest Mo Money – 20/1
- J Boyz Echo – 20/1
- Multiplier – 20/1
- Patch – 20/1
- Meantime – 30/1
- True Timber – 40/1
What is a trifecta bet?
You bet a trifecta by selecting a minimum three horses to finish first, second, and third. These horses must finish first, second, and third, in that exact order, for you to win the wager.
If picking three horses in order sounds too difficult you can “box” your wager. A boxed trifecta wager will win if your horses finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, in any order, making it more likely to win.
The minimum bet for a trifecta wager is only 50 cents and you can bet a trifecta box for as little as $3.
2017 Belmont Stakes Trifecta Picks
What: 2017 Belmont Stakes
When: June 10, 2017
Start Time: 6:48 PM ET
Where: Elmont, New York
Track: Belmont Park
Stream: NBC Sports Live
2017 Belmont Stakes Trifecta Key Horse Picks: Irish War Cry 8/1, Tapwrit 10/1
I love Tapwrit. I think that Todd Pletcher is going to have the son of Tapit on his toes for the June 10 Belmont Stakes. Last year, Pletcher skipped the Preakness with Destin after running Destin in the Derby. Destin almost won the Belmont Stakes. Creator beat him by a nose. I think Tapwrit could win the Belmont Stakes on June 10.
But, it’s hard for me to leave Irish War Cry out of the top spot in the trifecta. From my perspective, Irish War Cry has as big of a shot of winning the Belmont Stakes as Tapwrit does. The big son of Curlin had one of the more impressive runs in the Kentucky Derby. He only faded after hitting the worst part of the racetrack, about 2 to 3 horses off the rail in the stretch. I must use the Wood Memorial winner on top as well.
2017 Belmont Stakes Trifecta Place Picks
- Classic Empire 3/2 – The two-year-old champ deserves to win the Belmont. I think he’s the best three-year-old in the nation. But, the Belmont is his third race in 5 weeks. He could just be too tired to win the Test of Champions.
- Irish War Cry 8/1
- Tapwrit 10/1
- Epicharis 12/1 – He’s got class for days. I also like his style of running, near the front, which means he won’t be compromised if the pace is slow.
- Gormley 15/1 – If he’s grown up some, matured physically, he can pull off the upset. I can’t afford to make him a key horse on top, though. I’ve only got enough funds for two.
- Patch 20/1 – He’s another I’d consider as a key horse in the trifecta. The Belmont will only be his fifth-lifetime race. Tapwrit just has more seasoning. Then again, Patch is a talented runner. Decisions, decisions…
2017 Belmont Stakes Trifecta Show Picks
- Classic Empire 3/2
- Lookin At Lee 6/1 – I think he finishes off the board. But, just in case, I should probably use him. I mean, he’s proven me wrong twice already.
- Irish War Cry 8/1
- Senior Investment 10/1 – I’m not a big fan of Senior Investment, either. But, he blew me out of the Preakness because I thought he was the only horse that couldn’t finish in the tri. I won’t make that mistake again!
- Tapwrit 10/1
- Epicharis 12/1
- Gormley 15/1
- Patch 20/1
Early 2017 Belmont Stakes Trifecta Ticket
I’m using Irish War Cry and Tapwrit on top. I must take a shot at Classic Empire. Because I’ve got 2 key horses on top in my trifecta, I’m only adding 4 new horses in the place slot, and 2 new horses into the show slot. My trifecta ticket will look like this:
Irish War Cry, Tapwrit w/Classic Empire, Irish War Cry, Tapwrit, Epicharis, Gormley, Patch w/Classic Empire, Lookin At Lee, Irish War Cry, Senior Investment, Tapwrit, Epicharis, Gormley, Patch
Total Trifecta Cost = $60