Who will win the National League Pennant in 2015? The odds say that it will be a team from the NL Central. The NL Central has sent 3 teams to the post-season.
This includes sending favorite St. Louis. The Cardinals are a big favorite at 2/1 while both the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets sit on the board at 5/2. Will one of the favorites take home the top prize or will one of the dogs playing in the NL Wildcard Game win it all?
— SI MLB (@si_mlb) October 5, 2015
Analyzing The 2015 MLB Odds To Win The National League
- St. Louis Cardinals 2/1 – St. Louis is once again the top team in the National League. With home field advantage throughout the playoffs, it might seem tough to beat St. Louis. The one problem that St. Louis faces is that no matter who wins on Wednesday in the NL Wildcard Game, St. Louis will end up playing a rival in the NL Divisional Playoffs. Both Chicago and Pittsburgh has had success versus St. Louis during the regular season. The Cards’ road to the pennant is awfully tough.
- Los Angeles Dodgers 5/2 – The starting pitching doesn’t get any better than Clayton Kershaw and Zach Greinke. The batting could be better, though. The odds seem awfully low on the Dodgers to just win the pennant considering that they still have an unproven bullpen. We all saw what happened after the Dodgers pitched Kershaw too much in their first playoff game against St. Louis last season. He ended up losing a 6 run lead.
- New York Mets 5/2 – The odds on the Mets are strictly because they won the NL East Division. The Mets have great starting pitching and a decent bullpen, but their bats leave something to be desired. 5/2 is just too low to back.
- Pittsburgh Pirates 9/2 – Chicago appears to be going off at the slightly better odds to win the NL Pennant and the better play than the Pirates. Pittsburgh doesn’t hit Jake Arrieta all that well. In order to play the Pirates, you have to believe that they’ll get out of the NL Wildcard Game versus Arrieta. The Pirates bat .176 against Arrieta. They have 31 hits from 176 at-bats against the Chicago ace. Go against because one game appears to be all the Pirates end up playing in the playoffs.
- Chicago Cubs 5/1 – This is the team to back to win the NL Pennant. Jake Arrieta is unhittable. Over the past 30 days, he’s posted a .39 ERA, a .57 WHIP and he’s allowed a .141 batting average. The Cubs also have a terrific batting lineup. Plus, they’ll end up facing the rival Cardinals in the NL Divisional Playoffs before taking on either the Mets or the Dodgers for the pennant. Back the Cubbies with confidence.