NBA Betting Trends Highlight Pacers vs. Hawks First Round ShowdownJosh Bailey
The top-seeded Indiana Pacers (55-26 SU, 37-43-1 ATS, 35-44-2 O/U) will look to take the first step toward completing their stated goal of dethroning the two-time defending-champion Miami Heat and winning the Eastern Conference crown when they take on the eighth-seeded Atlanta Hawks (37-44 SU, 37-43-1 ATS, 43-37-1 O/U) in a first round matchup that could end up being a lot more exciting than most people expect.
The Pacers and Hawks split their regular season series at two games apiece with each team winning once on the other’s home floor while both teams were held to less than 100 points in three of the four meetings.
Atlanta comes into this series on a very nice, Philly cheesesteak-sized roll, having won four of their last five games and six of their last eight overall to secure the eighth and final spot in the Eastern Conference. More importantly, the Hawks showed they can play with almost anyone by beating the Pacers, Nets – and Miami Heat over the closing stretch.
The Hawks ranked 15th in scoring in the regular season (101.0 ppg), an identical 13th in both field goal and three-point shooting percentage and a stellar sixth in team free throw shooting percentage.
Defensively, the Hawks were mostly mediocre as they finished 15th in points allowed (101.5), 21st in field goal shooting percentage and 20th in three-point field goal defense.
With all-star center Al Horford missing all but 29 games this season, the Hawks are led in scoring by veteran forward Paul Millsap (17.9 ppg) while blossoming point guard Jeff Teague added another 16.5 points per contest. Millsap also leads the Hawks in rebounding by pulling down 8.5 per outing. Three other players also average double figures in scoring for Atlanta and veteran three-point shooter Kyle Korver has made a mind-numbing 47.2 percent of his attempts from downtown this season.
Indiana comes into this series having won three of its final four games and boy did they really need those wins as they both held off Miami for conference supremacy – and shook off some serious problems they showed over the last 30 games or so. Nevertheless, Indy did still manage to drop six of is L/10 regular season games while going just 3-7 ATS over the span.
The good news is that like the Pacers in this series is the fact that this defense-first team ranked an outstanding second in points allowed (92.3) while routinely forcing their opponents into tough shots to finish first in field goal shooting percentage (42.0) and fourth in three-point field goal defense 934.5).
Offense however has been the Pacers’ Achilles heel all season long as they finished just 24th in scoring (96.7 ppg), and 17th in both field goal (44.9) and three-point shooting percentage (35.7).
Despite their offensive struggles, Indiana does have six double-digit scorers on the roster, led by still-blossoming all-star Paul George (21.7 ppg) and veteran power forward David West (14.0 ppg).
The Pacers went 35-6 SU at home so they’ll be tough to beat on their home floor while also racking up a wining home ATS mark (21-19-1). Their home SU mark is even better when compared against their Eastern Conference counterparts. Indiana went 24-2 SU at home against the East while Atlanta struggled to win on the road no matter whom they were playing. The Hawks went just 14-27 SU and 17-23-1 ATS on the road, though their records in both categories are much better when narrowed down to their road games against their conference rivals. Atlanta finished 12-14 SU and a solid 13-13 ATS on the road against Eastern Conference opponents.
Atlanta Hawks Vs. Indiana Packers NBA Playoff Betting Trends
- Hawks are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning SU record.
- Hawks are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games.
- Hawks are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Pacers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 Conference Quarterfinals games.
- Pacers are 16-35-1 ATS in their last 52 games overall.
- Pacers are 2-9 ATS in their last 11 home games.
- Under is 4- 0 in Hawks last 4 games following a S.U. win.
- Under is 7-1-1 in Hawks last 9 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Under is 5- 1 in Hawks last 6 overall.
- Under is 5- 2 in Hawks last 7 road games.
- Over is 6-0- 1 in Pacers last 7 overall.
- Over is 5-0- 1 in Pacers last 6 vs. Eastern Conference.
- Under is 7- 3 in Pacers last 10 home games.
- Under is 14-6-1 in Pacers last 21 vs. NBA Southeast.
Key head-to-head NBA Betting trends for the Atlanta Hawks Vs. the Indiana Pacers
- Over is 13-3-1 in the last 17 meetings in Indiana.
- Favorite is 25-9-1 ATS in the last 35 meetings.
- Over is 9- 4 in the last 13 meetings.
- Hawks are 1-3-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings in Indiana.
- Road team is 3-1-1 ATS in the last 5 meetings.