The college basketball betting season has barely started, but it’s never too early to key in on teams that look like they’re going to cover spreads like there’s no tomorrow.
Check out the list of the Top 6 teams to bet on for this year’s college basketball season!
The Top 6 College Basketball Teams to Bet On In The Nation
1. Duke Blue Devils – The Blue Devils are 3 and 0 against the spread so far this season. Yes, they haven’t played against any of the absolute top teams in college hoops yet, but they did beat Michigan State 81 to 71 as a -8 point favorite. They’re also scoring 101 points, with freshman Jahlil Okafor pitching in 17.7 per night, and shooting 60% from the field. The defense is holding opponents to less than 60 points and a 42% field goal percentage.
— Duke Basketball (@dukebasketball) November 19, 2014
2. Louisville Cardinals – Rick Pitino’s squad is 2 and 0 against the spread after it beat Minnesota 81 to 68 as a 9.5 points favorite and Jacksonville State 88.39 as a -31.5 points favorite. Pitino’s teams usually get better, especially on the defensive end, as the season goes along. That’s a scary thought because Louisville is holding teams to 53.5 points and 34% from the field while shooting 46% and scoring 84.5 points.
3. Gonzaga Bulldogs – College basketball gamblers might be able to live off of the Bulldogs this college basketball season. Eleventh ranked Gonzaga is much better than any of its opponents in the WCC with possibly the exception of BYU. Even BYU shouldn’t stand in the way of Gonzaga, who is currently 2 and 0 against the spread, before being able to beat up all of the teams in their conference.
4. Wisconsin Badgers – A Final Four Team from a year ago, Wisconsin could be the poster child for what might end up being an important betting trend this season. Teams that play in deep, tough, conferences, like Wisconsin, Louisville and Duke, are likely to cover spreads because those spreads won’t be as large as they should be. Wisconsin will be the best team, by far, in the Big Ten this season, but they may only be favored by 3 or 4 points in most of their games. Knowing when to take advantage of a low spread is most of the battle when it comes to college basketball.
5. Texas Longhorns – There was a rumor before the season started that Texas was going to be one of the best teams in the nation, in addition to being one of the best teams in the Big 12, this season. Many college basketball analysts actually picked Texas to beat Kansas for the Big 12 title. So far, the Longhorns haven’t disappointed. Texas is 2 and 0 against the spread. More importantly, they are shooting above 50% from the field while holding teams to a ridiculous 28.6% from the field.
6. Xavier Musketeers – Xavier might be the Gonzaga of the Big East. The Big East, which at one time was the absolute best conference in all of college basketball, should produce only so-so teams for this year’s NCAA Tournament. Xavier will be the forgotten team, meaning that even though they could end up being the best team in the Big East, college hoops gamblers won’t bet on them like they’re the best team. So far, Xavier is scoring 95 points a game while shooting 60% from the field.