Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth College Basketbal Free PickJosh Bailey
The Richmond Spiders take on the 14th ranked Virginia Commonwealth Rams the day before Super Bowl XLIX and this may be the least entertaining game ever. I am not even going to waste your my and your time with a whitty intro.
— VCU Athletics (@VCUathletics) January 30, 2015
Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth College Basketbal Free Pick
Matchup: Richmond Spiders at No. 14 Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Date: Jan. 31, 2015
Start Time: 2:00 p.m. ET
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Stadium: Stuart C. Siegel Center
TV Info: ESPN 2
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Radio: Richmond Vs Virginia Commonwealth
The Richmond Spiders Will Beat the Virginia Commonwealth Rams If
- Kendall Anthony is hitting his shots – Anthony is averaging 16 points per game. He’s shooting 47% from the field and is the main reason why Richmond beat Davidson 89 to 63 as a one point underdog on January 17. When Anthony is playing well and hitting shots, the rest of the Spiders step it up as well.
- ShawnDre’ Jones plays at least 20 minutes – Not only is Jones leading Richmond in assists per game at 2.9, but he’s also Richmond’s version of Vinnie “Microwave” Johnson, the former Detroit Pistons player who would come off the bench in the late 1980’s for the Bad Boys and put up points in bunches. Jones scored 27 in 22 minutes versus Duquesne in Richmond’s last game. That’s a point every .81 seconds.
- As a team, Richmond shoots at their average – The Spiders’ field goal average is a blistering 47%. If Anthony is hitting his shots, Jones is providing the usual spark off of the bench, and the rest of the team is shooting at 47%, the Spiders could beat Virginia Commonwealth in this matchup.
The Virginia Commonwealth Rams Will Beat the Richmond Spiders If
- The Rams push the pace – As fast as Jones can score, the Spiders don’t always like to play fast. The Rams, however, do. VCU should push the basketball up the court as fast as they can. If Richmond gets back quickly enough, the Rams can always reset the offense.
- VCU wears down Richmond’s defense – In the Rams’ last game, a 72 to 48 victory over George Washington, 6 players on VCU’s team played over 20 minutes. 2 players were on the court for at least 16 minutes and 1 player hit the 10 minute mark. VCU plays everybody since not a single player on the team played less than 4 minutes. Throwing bodies at Richmond will lead to a victory.
- Steps up the defensive pressure – Nobody has scored more than 64 points against VCU’s defense in the Rams’ last 4 games. Guard Briante Weber is average 3.8 steals a game. That’s almost 4 steals a game, which makes him arguably the best steal artist in all of college hoops.
Bet On the Virginia Commonwealth Rams to Beat the Richmond Spiders
Treveon Graham for VCU is averaging close to 17 points per game, but he doesn’t have to score those 17 points for the Rams to win. The Rams’ defense has been good enough that Graham can score less than 15 points and VCU will win the game.
That defense, especially Weber on Anthony or Jones when Jones enters the game, will be the difference. VCU wins this contest.