Texas at Baylor College Basketball Betting PredictionNoah Williams
We have a Big 12 barn burner of a tilt this weekend when the 19th ranked Texas Longhorns hit the road and head to Waco to take on the 20th ranked Baylor Bears.
The Bears are in the middle of the pack in the Big 12, winning three games over two ranked opponents at home including a win against an improved TCU team in Fort Worth. The Longhorns started the season hot, dropping a game to No. 1 Kentucky on the road and a close overtime loss to Stanford in Austin, but outside of that Texas has had a strong showing.
Texas at Baylor College Basketball Betting Prediction
Matchup: No. 19 Texas Longhorns at No. 20 Baylor Bears
Date: Jan. 31, 2015
Start Time: 6:00 p.m. ET
Location: Waco, Texas
Stadium: Ferrell Center
TV Info: ESPN 2
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Radio: Texas Vs Baylor Bears
Click here for Live College Hoops Odds
The Texas Longhorns Will Beat the Baylor Bears If
- Freshman Myles Turner gets enough touches – Turner scored 16 points against Iowa State in the Longhorns’ last game, an 89 to 86 loss. Turner also grabbed 6 boards and blocked 3 shots. Why isn’t he starting again?
- Texas plays faster than they usually do – At one point versus Iowa State the Longhorns were down by 19 points. Once they opened things up with the press, Texas got right back into the game. Texas needs to speed things up in order to get their offense into a good flow.
- Senior Jonathan Holmes decides to dominate – Holmes was brilliant against Iowa State with 17 points and 10 boards. Sometimes, though, he doesn’t seem to want to take the game over. I’m sure Coach Rick Barnes wouldn’t mind if the senior decided to carry the Longhorns with another double-double.
— Texas Basketball (@TexasMBB) January 30, 2015
The Baylor Bears Will Beat the Texas Longhorns If
- Rico Gathers and Taurean Price can play with Texas’ bigs – Gathers leads the team in rebounding with 11.8 per game. Price leads the team in points per game at 12.2. Gathers and Price are going to have to out play Holmes and Turner if Baylor has any shot of beating Texas.
- Lester Medford controls the game at the point – Medford is a guard that can score. He shoots 40.3% from the field, but he can also rack up assists. Medford will have to match up and battle Isaiah Taylor, Texas’ terrific point-guard who can score as well as hMedford can. If Medford wins the individual battle, Baylor is likely to win.
- Baylor’s defense keeps the ball from going inside – As good as Taylor is, he’s pretty much the only guard on Texas’ team that can create his own shot. Texas’ entire game plan is going to use their athletic inside players, Holmes and Turner, to get three point opportunities. If Baylor shuts things down inside, they’ll win the game.
Bet On the Texas Longhorns to Beat the Baylor Bears
Texas only needs to start Turner and get him the ball as much as they can on the blocks in order to beat Baylor. Baylor has good inside players, but Turner is much better than any of the Bears’ big men.
Not only that, but Holmes has the ability to back down a defensive player or put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. The formula for Texas to win this game is obvious: speed up their play on the offensive end and get the ball to either Holmes or Turner.