Top 6 Best March Madness Against the Spread TeamsJosh Bailey
With the 2016 March Madness betting odds out for every first-round game, along with the First Four matchups, we are going to review how every team performed against the spread this season. Here are the top 6 teams to bet on against the spread (ATS) heading into the 2016 NCAA March Madness Basketball Tournament. Click here for the worst March Madness ATS picks.
Bet On These Top 6 Best March Madness Against the Spread Teams
- Seton Hall, 23-9 ATS – The Hall goes into the NCAA Tournament as one of the hottest teams in the nation. Seton Hall won its last 12 out of 14 games. The Pirates went 14 and 3 ATS in their last 17 games. The only team that seemed to give Seton Hall trouble in the second half of the season was Butler. Seton Hall beat two 2 seeds, Xavier and Villanova, on its way to the Big East Championship.
- VCU, 20-9 ATS – VCU’s 20 and 9 ATS record is terrific if only because the Rams went 8 and 3 ATS on the road this season. That’s an excellent road ATS record. It’s a sign that VCU won’t have any issues playing on somebody else’s basketball court, which is what you have to do in order to have success in the NCAA Tournament. The Rams ended up losing 74 to 87 to fellow Atlantic 10 ATS stud St. Joseph’s in the A-10 Tournament. That broke a 3 game straight up and ATS winning streak.
- Michigan State, 22-11 ATS – The Spartans, a hot commodity to win the NCAA Tournament in future books, is 13 and 1 straight up in their last 14 games. They are a terrific 12 and 2 against the spread in their last 14 games. The one issue that I see with betting on Michigan State ATS in the tournament is that their 2 ATS losses occurred in their final 2 games before the tournament, a 64 to 61 win over Maryland in the Big Ten Semifinals as a -5.5 point favorite and a 66 to 62 win over Purdue in the Big Ten Finals as a -5 point favorite. That could be a sign that Michigan State may have trouble covering spreads in the Big Dance.
- St. Joseph’s, 22-11 ATS – St. Joseph’s enters the NCAA Tournament on a 3 and 0 straight up and 3 and 0 ATS winning streak. The Hawks were awesome against VCU in the A-10 Tournament as a 4 point underdog. What’s really impressive about St. Joe’s, and one of the reasons why they are a hot underdog pick to win the West Region, is their 10 and 2 road record against the spread this season. That’s just an unreal ATS road record.
- West Virginia, 20-11 ATS – The 71 to 81 loss to Kansas in the Big 12 Tournament ended the Mountaineers terrific 6 game ATS and straight up winning streak. The one knock against West Virginia is that even though they have a great record ATS, most of their ATS wins came at home. The Mountaineers are 9 and 3 ATS at home this season. They may not be a great road team.
- Kansas, 21-11 ATS – The number one overall ranked team in this year’s NCAA Tournament also has a dynamite ATS record. Kansas went 8 and 0 straight up and ATS from Jan. 30 to Feb. 23. Unfortunately for those looking to make money off of the Jayhawks during the NCAA Tournament, Kansas went 3 and 3 ATS in their final 6 games. This includes going 2 and 1 ATS in the Big 12 Tournament. Is that a sign that Kansas isn’t going to cover spreads in the Big Dance? We shall see!
I hope these betting trends will help you make some big bucks against the spread in this year’s NCAA March Madness Basketball Tournament. Happy hunting!