Wichita State at Northern Iowa Free PickNoah Williams
Two teams with 19-2 records go head-to-head when the 12th ranked Wichita State Shockers take on 18th ranked Northern Iowa Panthers in Cedar Falls. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2 and streamed live on ESPN 2.
Matchup: No. 12 Wichita State Shockers at No. 18 Northern Iowa Panthers
Date: Jan. 31, 2015
Start Time: 4:00 p.m. ET
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Stadium: McLeod Center
TV Info: ESPN 2
Live Stream: WatchESPN
Radio: Wichita State Vs Northern Iowa
Click here for Live College Hoops Odds
The Wichita State Shockers Will Beat the Northern Iowa Panthers If
- Fred Van Fleet and Ron Baker dominate – Fred Van Fleet leads the team in assists with 5.5 per matchup and Ron Baker leads the team in points per game with 16. Van Fleet scored 27 in Wichita State’s last, though, a 58 to 47 victory over Loyola-Chicago, while Baker had 16. The guard duo is almost unbeatable when they’re both on.
- The Shockers get their running game going – Wichita State prefers to push the pace, but their opponents have figured that out and more often than not are slowing things down. The Shockers need to get out and run. The best way to do that is to continue out rebounding their opponents.
- Get Darius Carter involved – Carter played only 6 minutes against Loyola-Chicago. He played only 10 minutes versus Drake in the game before. Maybe, he’s in the coach’s doghouse. In any case, the Shockers have to get him back on track if they hope to beat Northern Iowa.
The Northern Iowa Panthers Will Beat the Wichita State Shockers If
- The Panthers remember last season – Last season, Northern Iowa shocked Wichita State 82 to 73. They need to go back to that game and remember that even though Wichita State is the team in the conference that gets all of the press, the Panthers can stick with the more highly rated Shockers.
- Box out on defense – Wichita State out rebounds their opponents by 10 a game on average. Northern Iowa cannot let the Shockers do that to them in this game. This battle is for the conference lead. The Panthers have to block out on defense and prevent the Shockers from getting offensive rebounds.
- Take their time and get good looks on offense – The Panthers only score 64.8 points per game, but their shooting percentage from the field is close to 48%, meaning that they take their time and find the best shot when they’re on offense. Playing their game, and not Wichita State’s could lead to a victory.
Bet On the Northern Iowa Panthers to Beat the Wichita State Shockers
Northern Iowa handled Wichita State fairly easily last season. They should be able to do it this season as well since they’re at home. One thing Northern Iowa will have to do is hit the glass.
If they can do that, they should beat Wichita State again.