The Last Vegas Bowl was introduced in 1992 and will pit the Fresno State Bulldogs and UCS Trojans on December 21 st at 3 PM ET live on ABC, marking the first time ABC will air a college football bowl game since 2001.
USC will be focused on slowing down Fresno State’s pass offense led by senior quarterback Derek Carr. He ranks first in the nation in passing (409.8 yards per game), third in total offense (570.6) and fifth in scoring with 43.5 points per game.
The Trojans turned around their season after Lane Kiffin’s controversial tenure and firing following a 62-41 loss at Arizona State on Sept. 28, and the Trojans (9-4) promoted assistant head coach Ed Orgeron to the interim job. USC ended its season by winning six of its first seven under Orgeron.
Las Vegas Bowl Sponsors:
- EA Sports (1999)
- Sega/Sega Sports (2001–2002)
- Pioneer PureVision (2003–2008)
- Maaco (2009–2012)
- Royal Purple (2013-present)
Las Vegas Bowl Betting Trends – Fresno State Bulldogs vs USC Trojans
- Boise State has the best winning percentage of the teams with over two appearances in the Las Vegas Bowl as they are 3-0 having won it the last three years in a row.
- The MVP for the Las Vegas Bowl has been awarded to eight quarterbacks, seven running backs, four wide receivers, one tight end and one linebacker.
- Las Vegas Bowl MVP winners who have jumped to the NFL: RB Steven Jackson (2003), RB Marshawn Lynch (2005), WR Austin Collie (2007), QB Kellen Moore (2010) and RB Doug Martin (2011).
- BYU has played the most times in the Las Vegas Bowl with a record is 3-2.
- Most points scored in a game: Boise State in 2011 with 56.
- Fewest points in a game Utah in 2010 with 3
- Largest margin of victory: +41 Oregon State over New Mexico in 2003
- The game with most points combined was in 2011 as Boise State and Arizona State scored 80 points.
- The fewest points scored was in 2001with UTAH and USC combining for 16 points.
- USC this season: 9-4 SU, 6-7 ATS
- The Trojans are 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of USC’s last 7 games
- USC is 32-17 in Bowl games, and they lost in 2012 to Georgia Tech after three years without a bowl participation due to a NCAA sanction.
- Fresno State this season: 11-1 SU, 5-7 ATS
- Fresno State is 11-1 SU in its last 12 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Fresno State’s last 7 games
- Fresno State is 9-10 in Bowl games and they are currently on a 4 bowl games losing streak.
- The head to head series between Fresno State and USC is tied at one win each.
Previous Las Vegas Bowl Game Results
- December 18, 1992 Bowling Green 35-34 Nevada
- December 17, 1993 Utah State 42-33 Ball State
- December 15, 1994 UNLV 52-34 Central Michigan
- December 14, 1995 Toledo 40-37 Nevada (OT)
- December 18, 1996 Nevada 18-15 Ball State
- December 20, 1997 Oregon 41-13 Air Force
- December 19, 1998 North Carolina 20-13 San Diego State
- December 18, 1999 Utah 17-16 Fresno State
- December 21, 2000 UNLV 31-14 Arkansas
- December 25, 2001 Utah 10-16 Southern California
- December 25, 2002 UCLA 27-13 New Mexico
- December 24, 2003 Oregon State 55-14 New Mexico
- December 23, 2004 Wyoming 24-21 UCLA
- December 22, 2005 California 35-28 BYU
- December 21, 2006 BYU 38-8 Oregon
- December 22, 2007 BYU 17-16 UCLA
- December 20, 2008 Arizona 31-21 BYU
- December 22, 2009 BYU 44-20 Oregon State
- December 22, 2010 Boise State 26-3 Utah
- December 22, 2011 Boise State 56-24 Arizona State
- December 22, 2012 Boise State 28-26 Washington