Last year’s inaugural College Football Playoff was a resounding success. Click here for this years odds. Who else agrees that the playoff system should be expanded to accommodate more teams?
I do and here are my top seven college football playoff matchups that I want to see this year. Even with just four spots available, I have expanded my list to seven incase any one of the teams in my top four matchups falters.
Top 7 College Football Playoff Match-ups We Want To See
- Alabama vs. Ohio State – Ohio State beat Alabama in the College Football Playoff last season, but if we remember, Alabama had the lead going into half time. ‘Bama lost due to suspect play-calling by Lane Kiffin. The Crimson Tide’s defensive line should be stacked. Also, Derrick Henry averaged 7.3 yards from 13 carries versus the Buckeyes in last season’s game. Don’t you want to see what adjustments Saban is going to make versus Urban Meyer? We do!
- Ohio State vs. Baylor – Baylor’s offense could resemble Ohio State’s in a lot of ways this season since QB Seth Russell runs very well just like Ohio State’s JT Barrett. Russell can also throw the ball. He’s comparable to not only Barrett but to Cardale Jones as well. Baylor’s defense is loaded. This should be an exciting strategy game between Meyer and Art Briles.
- Ohio State vs. TCU – TCU Coach Gary Patterson has to replace almost his entire defense, but if anybody can rebuild a defense, it’s Patterson. TCU’s offense could have the Heisman Trophy winner playing for it in QB Trevone Boykin by the time the College Football Playoff comes around. This would be an entertaining game with both teams scoring a ton of points.
- Alabama vs. Baylor – Will Alabama’s excellent defensive line stop Russell and the Baylor offense? How would Baylor’s D, even with all of that experience, stack up to Alabama’s run heavy offense and Derrick Henry? This is a great matchup waiting to happen.
- Alabama vs. TCU – It would be awesome to see how well Boykin plays against the best defensive line in the nation. Boykin, contrary to what some might think, is more a passer than a rusher. The battle between Boykin and Alabama’s front 7 would be electrifying.
- Ohio State vs. Auburn – Talk about a strategy game. Ohio State’s offense versus Will Muschamp’s Auburn defense. Gus Mahlzan’s Auburn offense versus Ohio State’s defense. Can Urban Meyer and his staff out think Mahlzan and Muschamp and their staff? This would be great!
- Ohio State vs USC – Steve Sarkisian versus Meyer. Urban is the standard when it comes to coaching. He’s where Sarkisian hopes he’ll be soon. Sarkisian has a good team at USC this season. Cody Kessler could be the best quarterback in college football. Even though on paper Ohio State looks better than USC, you’d have to expect that Sarkisian would put together a game plan to challenge the Buckeyes’ defense.