The future of the NFL is now and it doesn’t get any better in the NFC Championship Game featuring The San Francisco 49ers and the Seattle Seahawks Sunday at CenturyLink Field.
One bitter rivalry.
Two young quarterbacks.
Two smash mouth defenses.
Two teams with seething hate between players, coaches and fans.
It comes down to a rubber-match showdown to decide which NFC West team will reach the Super Bowl.
Starts: 01/19/2014 6:30PM
in Seattle, 800 Occidental Avenue South
Since start of 2010 season, 49ers have allowed a 100-yd rusher in a game 5 times; 3 of those are Marshawn Lynch (h/t @EliasSports)
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) January 19, 2014
Both head coaches have championship pedigree. The 49ers were one drive short of the 2013 Super Bowl with Jim Harbaugh leading the team to NFC championship game in all three seasons he was at the helm. Pete Carroll had a 28-23 record in three seasons as Patriots coach, then went to the college ranks and built a powerhouse at Southern California, with two national titles. Now his magic has the whole of Seattle buzzing.
Saying that these two coaches despise each other is an understatement. Their bone deep hatred dates back to their college coaching days — Harbaugh at Stanford, where he ran up the score on Carroll’s Trojans.
"I think we’re the two teams that everybody was looking at from the beginning," San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick said. "It’s going to be a knockdown, drag-out game.
My NFC Championship game expert pick has the 12th Man willing the Seahawks to the Super Bowl.
NFC Championship betting trends to keep an eye on:
- Seahawks are 17-5 ATS in their last 22 games as a favorite of 3.5-10.0.
- Seahawks are 8-2 ATS in their last 10 games following an ATS loss.
- Seahawks are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games after accumulating more than 150 yards rushing in their previous game.
- Seahawks are 19-7 ATS in their last 26 vs. NFC.
- 49ers are 2-9-2 ATS in their last 13 games as an underdog of 0.5-3.5.
- 49ers are 3-9-3 ATS in their last 15 games as a road underdog of 0.5-3.5.