Thursday Night Football Betting Trends & Stats – Panthers Vs. BucsRachel Garcia
The Carolina Panthers visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this Thursday night to open NFL week 8 betting.
The visiting Panthers are on a two game winning streak that helped make them 6-point favorites in the NFL spread betting odds. Meanwhile the Bucs still look for their first win of the season. The game total is at 39.5.
Here are some betting trends you might find useful before picking a winner:
- This game features the 29th ranked passing offense in the league (Bucs) against the 28th (Panthers); both teams averaged less than 200 passing yards per game.
- The matchups also puts two of the best teams at stopping the run; Tampa Bay allows just 88.8 rushing yards per game (5th best in the NFL), while the Panthers 84.5 (4th best).
- Mismatch. Carolina has the number one total defense in the NFL while Tampa Bay is the worst total offense.
- Panthers QB Cam Newton has completed at least 75 percent of his passes in each of his last two games (vs. Minnesota & St. Louis.
- Cam Newton is 2-2 on his careers against the Buccaneers; he has 63% completion, 6 TDs and 2 INTs in four games; he also has four rushing TDs in the series.
- Newton led the Panthers to win the two games vs. Tampa on his rookie season, and his team scored 48 and 38 points on the Bucs that season; in 2012, he lost both contests in the series and his team scored only 10 and 21 points in those defeats.
- Newton is 0-1 on Thursday games; his only loss came in a 36-7 contest against the NY Giants last season where he threw 242 yards, three interceptions without a passing TD. The only 7 points of his team came in a 1 yard TD run by Newton.
- Cam Newton is 5-7 against his own NFC South division while throwing 16 TDs, 10 INTs and running for 9 scores.
- Buccaneers QB Mike Glennon played against his first NFC South opponent last week in the 31-23 loss against the Falcons. He went 26 of 44 for 256 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.
- Bucs WR Vincent Jackson was targeted 22 times against the Falcons, tied for the second-most targets in a game since the start of 2006. He has 10 catches for 138 yards and 2 TDs. Jackson has 188 receiving yards and 2 TDs in three games against the Panthers.
- Tampa Bay trails in the series against the Panthers 11-14, but they have won four of the last six in the series. The Panthers are also 2-4 against the spread in their last 6 games when playing the Buccaneers.
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Tampa Bay’s last 9 games when playing at home against Carolina.