2015 Odds To Win The Stanley CupJosh Bailey
The New York Rangers, under the tutelage of former Vancouver Canucks head-coach Alain Vigneault, have not only won the President’s Trophy but are odds on favorite to win the Stanley Cup.
The Rangers are listed at 11/2 odds to hoist Lord Stanley’s mug at the end of the spring, followed by the Chicago Blackhawks at 8/1 and the St. Louis Blues at 8/1.
The Rangers will face Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins in their first-round playoff matchup. The Penguins, who floundered in the second half of the season, are back at 16/1 odds.
Game one of that series gets underway on Thursday night at Madison Square Garden, with New York the -175 home favorite on the NHL betting lines for Game 1 (click here all the first round NHL playoff predictions). The Rangers have been dominant against the Penguins over the last two seasons, winning six of their last seven matchups.
The top Canadian teams are the Montreal Canadiens at 9/1 followed by the Vancouver Canucks (16/1), Ottawa Senators (18/1), Calgary Flames (20/1) and Winnipeg Jets (25/1).
Check out the full odds for the playoffs below.
— NHL (@NHL) April 14, 2015
What Are The Odds To Win The Stanley Cup At The Beginning Of The NHL Playoffs
- New York Rangers – 11/2 – The Rangers go into the playoffs as the favorite. They’re hot as well after winning 6 out of 7 straight up.
- Chicago Blackhawks – 8/1 – Chicago’s odds have fallen so that they’re in line with St. Louis’s. That’s what happens when you enter the chase for the Stanley Cup on a 4 match losing streak.
- St. Louis Blues – 8/1 – Bettors might want to consider putting some money behind the Blues. They won 5 out of their last 6 including beating Chicago 2 to 1 on April 9.
- Anaheim Ducks – 9/1 – With a record of 5 wins and only 2 losses in their last 7, the Ducks appear poised to keep the Cup in Southern California.
- Minnesota Wild – 9/1 – The first round matchup pits the Wild versus the Blues. 9/1 makes them feel like an overlay.
- Montreal Canadians – 9/1 – 3 and 0 in their last 3 matches should give the Canadians confidence. They’ll have an edge over Ottawa in the playoffs.
- Tampa Bay Lightning – 10/1 – The Lightning is ranked first in goals per game at 3.2 and fifth in shots against at 27.9 per. They could be tough.
- Nashville Predators – 12/1 – Favorites don’t always excel in the playoffs. That could be the case here where the Blackhawks face the 12/1 Predators on the road in the first round. Nashville is awfully tough at home.
- Pittsburgh Penguins 16/1 – Sidney Crosby is healthy. He’ll help but the favored Rangers are the opponents in the first round.
- Vancouver Canucks – 16/1 – Vancouver gives up 29.8 shots and 2.7 goals per match. That’s probably not going to win them the Stanley Cup in 2015.
- Detroit Red Wings – 18/1 – Detroit goes into the playoffs having won only 4 out of their last 10. They seem like a serious underlay at 18/1.
- New York Islanders – 18/1 – The Islanders offense is good enough. The other New York team averages 3 goals off of 33.8 shots per match. But the defense gives up 2.7 goals per match and only kills penalties 77.9% of the time.
- Ottawa Senators – 18/1 – Ottawa is 6 and 1 straight up in its last 7 matches. That’s a really good sign, but they play a motivated Montreal in the first round.
- Washington Capitals – 18/1 – They finished the season going 5 and 2 and Alex Ovechkin plays for them. The defense is good enough to keep the Caps in every game. So, yes, they’ve got an underdog’s shot to win the Stanley Cup.
- Calgary Flames – 20/1 – The Flames have a decent chance at upsetting Vancouver in the first round. They probably won’t get much further than that, though.
- Winnipeg Jets – 25/1 – If the “hot” team angle works, Winnipeg could surprise. They went 4 and 1 straight up in their last 5 including beating both St. Louis and Minnesota. Anaheim could be n for a rude awakening in the first round.