Updated 2016 Stanley Cup OddsNoah Williams
UPDATED: April 11th, 2016
The 2016 NHL Playoffs Field is set. The favorite, as to be expected, is the team with the best record in NHL, the Washington Capitals. The Caps are big time 7/2 favorites. The longest shot on the board is the team that faces the Caps in the first round, the Philadelphia Flyers. See below for my take on each team’s chances of winning the 2016 Stanley Cup!
Analyzing The Odds to Win the 2016 Stanley Cup
- Washington 7/2 – The odds are awfully low on a team that finished the regular season by winning only 4 out of its last 6 games. Then again, the Caps were resting Alex Ovechkin.
- Chicago 13/2 – The Blackhawks have a tough first round matchup against the Blues, whom they went 2 and 3 against in 5 games during the regular season.
- Pittsburgh 15/2 – If momentum means anything, Pitt might be the play. They went 18 and 5 straight up in their last 23 games.
- Anaheim 8/1 – The Ducks have a shot after winning the Pacific ahead of L.A. and San Jose.
- Dallas 8/1 – The Stars are a possible momentum play in the West. They went 8 and 2 straight up in their last 10 to end the regular season.
- Los Angeles 8/1 – It’s an even year, which means that the Kings win it, right? If past history holds, the answer is yes.
- St. Louis 9/1 – They have to prove that they can get by Chicago in what could be the most interesting series of the first round. If you believe, the odds are more than fair.
- New York Rangers 15/1 – The odds are about where they should be on the Rangers. Outside of Lundqvist in goal, NYR won’t have the edge on any team that it takes on in the NHL Playoffs.
- San Jose 15/1 – It’s going to be tough for the Sharks to get out of the first round since they take on Even Year Los Angeles. They did go 3 and 2 versus the Kings this season, though.
- Tampa Bay 18/1 – Steven Stamkos won’t return until early June. It’s doubtful the Lightning is still playing hockey at that time. Too bad because with Stamkos they’re a contender.
- Florida 20/1 – 5 and 1 straight up in their final 6 says that Florida may not be just a surprise regular season team. The Panthers could make some noise in the playoffs.
- New York Islanders 20/1 – They went 1 and 2 versus the Panthers during the regular season. It’s hard to back NYI to get out of the first round much less win the Stanley Cup.
- Nashville 25/1 – The Preds are a sneaky good team. They take 30.6 shots on offense while the defense holds opponents to only 27.6 shots per game. They might be the best long shot at the odds.
- Minnesota 30/1 – Momentum is not on the Wild’s side. Minny ended the regular season on a 5 games losing streak.
- Detroit 40/1 – When goalie Petr Mrazek is on, he’s one of the best goalies in NHL. When he’s off, he can be one of the worst. You have to think that Mrazek’s going to be on during the playoffs, which gives Detroit a puncher’s chance.
- Philadelphia 50/1 – The Flyers went 2 and 2 versus the Caps during the regular season. If they beat the Caps in Round 1, they could get hot. At 50 to 1, they deserve some consideration.