Atletico Madrid and Chelsea will face off in London at 14:45 PM ET today to decide who advances to the UEFA Champions Finals from Stamford Bridge.
After a rather boring first leg both Chelsea and Atletico Madrid will try to turn up the intensity. Can Atletico Madrid beat its parent club on their own turf? The betting odds have home Chelsea heavily favored at +130 to win the affiar, with their rivals at +240.
Astonishingly Chelsea could have both goalkeeper Petr Čech and defender John Terry back in action for this match, despite both players leaving the first leg with seemingly season-ending injuries. They both returned to training on Tuesday, along with Eden Hazard and Samuel Eto’o, who both missed the first leg altogether. However, the Blues will certainly be without the suspended John Obi Mikel and Frank Lampard, while January arrivals Mohamed Salah and Nemanja Matić are cup-tied.
Atléti are much better off on the team news front, with only midfielder Gabi unavailable for sure — he’s suspended. Arda Turan also has a slight groin problem, but he’ll be in contention to play. Other than that, coach Diego Simeone should have a full-strength squad to choose from.
Chelsea V Atletico Madrid Betting Stats and Info
- Chelsea has been in seven semifinals in the last 11 UEFA Champions League tournaments but only advanced to the final twice in those seven tries.
- Chelsea has faced Spanish clubs four times in Champions League semifinals; they advanced once and were eliminated three times.
- Chelsea has nine wins, four draws and one loss at home against Spanish team in the UEFA Champions League. Their only defeat was in the 2005/06 season against Barcelona; Jose Mourinho was Chelsea’s coach that day.
- In two legged series, Chelsea has advanced five times, and lost another four when facing Spanish opponents.
- When drawing the first leg away from home, Chelsea has advanced five times and was eliminated twice against all opponents in the Champions League.
- Atletico Madrid has won just one time when visiting English teams in nine games; they lost four times and tied another four.
- Atletico advanced five times in seven two-legged series against English clubs in UEFA competition.
- Atletico is unbeaten away from home in the UEFA Champions League this season with three victories and two draws.
- Atletico were in 12 UEFA semifinals overall; they have a 50% record as they advanced six times and the other six were sent home.
Head To Head Betting Stats & Info:
Champions League – Play Offs
22/04/14 | Atl. Madrid 0 – 0 Chelsea
UEFA Super Cup 2012
31/08/12 Chelsea 1 – 4 Atl. Madrid
Champions League 2009/2010 – Group Stage
03/11/09 Atl. Madrid 2 – 2 Chelsea
21/10/09 Chelsea 4 – 0 Atl. Madrid