Breaking Down The 2015 Dallas Cowboys
Last season's Dallas Cowboys were the surprise team of the year only to break our hearts at the hands of a controversial call vs Packers in January's divisional playoff matchup. Fans, analysts and odds makers are excited about the 2015 Cowboys who are listed at 10-1 odds to win Super Bowl 50.
Jerry Jones smartest off-season move was to resign head-coach Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. Garrett signed a five-year, $30 million deal. Linehan and Marinelli have deals that make them among the highest-paid coordinators in the NFL. This sends a message for a team that believes it is close to a Super Bowl, and that was a must.
The only thing that can put a damper on the 2015 Dallas Cowboys could be disgruntled WR Dez Bryant who wants more money than the $12.823 million the off-season franchise tag gives him.
Dallas Cowboys 2015 Betting Preview
Will this be the Cowboys' first Super Bowl since 1995?
- 2014 Season Summary 12-4-0, Finished 1st in NFC East Division
- 2014 Points Scored: 467 points (29.2/g), 5th of 32 in the NFL.
- 2014 Points Allowed: 352 points (22.0/g), 15th.
- Coach: Jason Garrett
- Offensive Coordinator: Scott Linehan
- Defensive Coordinator: Rod Marinelli
- Stadium: AT&T Stadium
Dallas Cowboys Betting Odds:
- To Win Super Bowl 50: +1500
- To Win the NFC: +765
- To Win the NFC East: +150
Dallas Cowboys 2014 Betting Trends:
- Overall Against the Spread Record: 10-6
- ATS Record at home: 3-5
- ATS Record away from home: 7-1
- ATS Record as favorites: 6-5
- ATS Record as underdogs: 4-1
- Over/Under Record: 9-6-1
NFC East 2014 Standings:
|N.Y. Giants||6||10||0||.375||380||400||3-5||3-5||2-4||.333||4-8||.333||2-2||Lost 1|
2015 Dallas Cowboys Offense:
The Cowboys offense was ranked a combined 7th last season on the legs of an impressive offensive line, that was the envy of the league, which Jerry Jones improved by signing undrafted OT La'el Collins from LSU. Collins gives Dallas four first-round caliber players up front, if he beats out Ronald Leary at left guard. Regardless of who starts, Dallas' offensive line will be the best in the league once again.
The biggest beneficiary of the over-powering OL was RB DeMarco Murray (392 att, 1845 yards, 13 TDs) who led the league in rushing. His impressive season led to a five-year, $42 million contract with the Eagles. With Murray gone, the Jones failed to draft a rusher in an RB heady draft, but signed injury-prone Darren McFadden's (155 att, 534 yards, 2 TDs with the Oakland Raiders). The Cowboys will go with a combination of McFadden, Joseph Randle, Lance Dunbar and/or Ryan Williams to replace Murray and believe they can succeed because of their offensive line.
QB Tony Romo (3705 yards, 34 TDs, 9 INTS & 113.2 rating) had an amazing season last year, especially playing most of the season with a broken back. Romo is not only elite, he is a leader, he is a warrior and lives to play in a Cowboys' uniform. There's no reason he can't continue last season's success in 2015 as he has a bevy of weapons on the outside and a historically great offensive line. He's a legitimate MVP candidate and top-10 quarterback.
- Key Additions: RB Darren McFadden, FB Jed Collins.
- Key Departures: WR Dwayne Harris, RB DeMarco Murray, T Jermey Parnell.
Dallas Cowobys 2015 Projected Offensive Starters:
- QB Tony Romo
- WR Dez Bryant
- WR Terrance Williams
- TE Jason Witten
- RB Darren McFadden
- FB Tyler Clutts
- LT Tyron Smith
- LG Ronald Leary
- C Travis Frederick
- RG Zack Martin
- RT Doug Free
2015 Dallas Cowboys Defense:
Jerry Jones believes in defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, who did a masterful job of keeping this under-talented defense in games. The Cowboys defense ranked 26th against the pass, 8th at stopping the rush, combining for the 19th-ranked overall defense in the league. While no one will ever label last year's D as dominant, they did bring themselves back to respectability. The Cowboys offense was clearly the strength of the team, but the defense always managed to do enough to help the team win.
After spending hefty picks to draft a dominant offensive line, Jerry Jones turned his sights on the defense this offseason. First he drafted cornerback Byron Jones from Connecticut with the 27th overall pick. Jones possesses the very rare skill-set to play to play corner and free safety. If Jones is shifted over to safety, it will allow the Cowboys to be very multiple on the defensive front. As a result, Marinelli will be able to implement more blitz packages that can take some burden off his secondary.
Jones then used the Cowboys' second pick, 60th over, to land OLB Randy Gregory from Nebraska in the second; Gregory was ranked as a Top 10 talent for the 2015 draft before he failed a drug test for marijuana at the NFL combine. At nearly 6-foot-5 and 235 pounds, Gregory can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense or defensive end in the Cowboys' 4-3 scheme. In two seasons at Nebraska, he compiled 17½ sacks and 29 tackles for loss and twice was named first-team All-Big Ten.
Jones also added DE Greg Hardy in the free agency, but he was suspended for the first 10 games of the season from lingering domestic violence issues preceding the 2014 seasons. His addition, even for the final 6 games of the season, will be a huge push for this defense heading into the postseason.
- Key Additions: MLB Jasper Brinkley, ILB Andrew Gachkar, DE Greg Hardy, Corey White.
- Key Departures: OLB Bruce Carter, OLB Juston Durant, DT Melton Henry, DB Sterling Moore, DE George Selvie, DE Anthony Spencer.
Dallas Coyboys 2015 Pojected Defensive Starters (Base 4-3 D):
- DE Jeremy Mincey
- DT Nick Hayden
- DT Tyrone Crawford
- DE Randy Gregory
- OLB Sean Lee
- MLB Rolando McClain
- OLB Anthony Hitchens
- CB Brandon Carr
- CB Orlando Scandrick
- SS J.J. Wilcox
- FS Barry Church
2015 Dallas Cowboys Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Sun, Sep 13 (DAL -5.5) vs New York Giants 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 2 Sun, Sep 20 (DAL +2) @ Philadelphia 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 (DAL -5.5) vs Atlanta 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 (DAL pk) @ New Orleans 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 5 Sun, Oct 11 (DAL pk) vs New England 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 6 BYE WEEK
- Week 7 Sun, Oct 25 (DAL pk) @ New York Giants 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 8 Sun, Nov 1 (DAL +1.5) vs Seattle 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 (DAL -2.5) vs Philadelphia 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 10 Sun, Nov 15 (DAL -4.5) @ Tampa Bay 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 (DAL -1) @ Miami 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 12 Thu, Nov 26 (DAL -4.5) vs Carolina 4:30 PM CBS
- Week 13 Mon, Dec 7 (DAL -3) @ Washington 8:30 PM ESPN
- Week 14 Sun, Dec 13 (DAL +4.5) @ Green Bay 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 15 Sat, Dec 19 vs (DAL -7.5) New York Jets 8:25 PM NFL
- Week 16 Sun, Dec 27 (DAL +1) @ Buffalo 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 17 Sun, Jan 3 vs Washington 1:00 PM FOX
Dallas Cowboys 2015 Draft Class:
- Round 1, Pick 27: CB D Byron Jones, Connecticut (24 tackles, 2 INTs)
- Round 2, Pick 60: OLB Randy Gregory, Nebraska (54 tackles, 7.0 sacks)
- Round 3, Pick 91: OT Chaz Green, Florida
- Round 4, Pick 127: ILB Damien WIlson, Minnesota (119 tackles, 4.0 sacks)
- Round 5, Pick 163: DE Ryan Russell, Purdue (44 tackles, 3.0 sacks)
- Round 7, Pick 236: OLB Mark Nzeocha, Wyoming (30 tackles, 2.0 sacks)
- Round 7, Pick 243: OT Laurence Gibson, Virginia Tech
- Round 7, Pick 246: TE Geoff Swaim, Texas (10 rec, 70 yards, 1 TDs)
Connect With The Dallas Cowboys:
The Cowboys showed how lethal they could be when healthy and firing on all cylinders on offense. Can they make up for the disappointing loss of rusher DeMarco Murray? Can their defense win a game or two for the team? I think they can, but they are still a step behind the Packers and Seahawks.
NFL Predictions: Dallas will win the NFC East and lose the NFC Championship game.