Breaking Down The 2015 Green Bay Packers
Green Bay was three minutes away from Super Bowl XLIX when disaster struck in the NFC Championship game five months ago. Have the Packers recovered?
They have the NFL's reigning Most Valuable Player and arguably the best quarterback in the league. They lost no key offensive contributors since last season. Yes, Green Bay is set up well to once again make a serious run in 2015 and the NFL odds makers agreed when they listed the Packers at 7-1 odds to win Super Bowl 50, second to just the Seahawks (6-1) as favorites to hoist the Lombardy Trophy.
Green Bay Packers 2015 Betting Preview
Will the Pack continue to roll over the NFC?
- 2014 Season Summary: 12-4-0, Finished 1st in NFC North Division ·
- 2014 Points Scored: 486 points (30.4/g), 1st of 32 in the NFL.
- 2014 Points Allowed: 348 points (21.8/g), 13th.
- Coach: Mike McCarthy
- Offensive Coordinator: Edgar Bennett
- Defensive Coordinator: Dom Capers
- Stadium: Lambeau Field
Green Bay Packers 2015 Betting Odds:
- To Win Super Bowl: 50 +625
- To Win the NFC: +325
- To Win the NFC North: -275
Green Bay Packers 2014 Betting Trends:
- Overall Against the Spread Record: 9-6-1
- ATS Record at home: 6-1-1
- ATS Record away from home: 3-5
- ATS Record as favorites: 9-3-1
- ATS Record as underdogs: 0-3
- Over/Under Record: 11-5
NFC North 2014 Standings:
|Green Bay||12||4||0||.750||486||348||8-0||4-4||5-1||.833||9-3||.750||3-1||Won 2|
2015 Green Bay Packers Offense:
Aaron Rodgers (4381 yards, 38 TDs, 5 INTS, 112.2 rating) is in his 11th year in the NFL and is arguably the leagues top man under center. He had an 8-1 TD to INT ratio in 2014. Unless he gets injured, Rodgers will be a top three QB in every 2015 stat column that matters. He is athletic with excellent arm strength, and his ability to read defenses is second to none. Add that to uncanny accuracy, and the top WR duo in the league and this is a team that will beg you to bet the over on.
You can call the Packers' brain trust's off-season movies as smart or safe when the only players that were lost were 3rd/4th stringers. And the Packers' are still a relatively young group overall (20th-oldest unit). In fact, they only have two offensive starters in their 30s, Aaron Rodgers (32) and Jordy Nelson (30). Since the offense has developed so many drafted players into starters recently, the Packers didn't need to replace any veterans with younger talent.
They resigned WR Randall Cobb (91 rec, 1287 yards, 12 TDs) to a four-year, $40 million contract, WR Jordy Nelson (98 rec, 1519 yards, 13 TDs) to a four-year, $39 million contract and T Bryan Bulaga to a five-year, $33.75 million deal. Add the developing sophomore WR Davante Adams (38 rec, 446 yards, 3 TDs) as a third reliable target for Rodgers and Rodgers is up for another MVP season.
"In my mind, he has humongous upside—and he's starting to reach that upside," Rodgers told Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin. "I think the opportunities are going to come for him. He’s got two great guys to play with. His attention to detail is very impressive and his approach."
According to ESPN Wisconsin, Rodgers praised three specific aspects of Adams' game: body type, athleticism and approach. Adams is 6-foot-1 and 215 pounds, has a 39.5-inch vertical jump and is a student of the game.
The Packers had the 6th total offense in 2014, 8th passing the ball and 11th running it.
Third year rusher Eddie Lacy (246 att, 1139 yards, 9 TDs) is clearly the top dog in the Packers back-field and that will continue. Lacy is an excellent between-the-tackles power runner, while his back-up, James Starks provides some big play ability. And battle-hammer FB John Kuhn is one of the best in short yardage situations.
- Key Additions: none needed
- Departures: WR Jarrett Boykin, WR Kevin Dorsey, RB DuJuan Harris.
Green Bay Packers 2015 Projected Offensive Starters:
- QB Aaron Rodgers
- WR Jordy Nelson
- WR Randall Cobb
- TE Andrew Quarless
- RB Eddie Lacy
- FB John Kuhn
- LT David Bakhtiari
- LG Josh Sitton
- C Corey Linsley
- RG T.J. Lang
- RT Bryan Bulaga
2015 Green Bay Defense:
The Packers generally kept the same off-season philosophy they used on offense on their defense personnel, losing LB AJ Hawk and CB Tramon Williams will put a dent in this defense's swagger.
The continued development of sophomore Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who had a huge post-season in 2014, will only continue and to continue the youth movement in the secondary the Packers selected S Damarious Randall, from Arizona State (106 tackles, 3 INTs), and CB Quinten Rollins, from Miami of Ohio (72 tackles, 7 INTs).
“We're going to be a better defense this year. You can write that in big letters. We'll be a better defense this year,” head coach Mike McCarthy said in his draft-ending address to the media.
- Key Additions: none needed.
- Key Departures: ILB AJ Hawk, ILB Jamari Lattimore, CB Tramon Williams.
Green Bay Packers 2015 Projected Defensive Starters (Base 3-4 D):
- DE Mike Daniels
- NT B.J. Raji
- DE Datone Jones
- OLB Clay Matthews
- ILB Jake Ryan
- ILB Sam Barrington
- OLB Julius Peppers
- CB Casey Hayward
- CB Sam Shields
- SS Morga Burnett
- FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Green Bay Packers 2015 Draft Class:
- Round 1, Pick 30: S Damarious Randall, Arizona State (106 tackles, 3 INTs)
- Round 2, Pick 62: CB Quinten Rollins, Miami (OH) (72 tackles, 7 INTs)
- Round 3, Pick 94: WR Ty Montgomery, Stanford (61 rec, 604 yards, 3 TDs)
- Round 4, Pick 129 OLB Jake Ryan, Michigan (112 tackles, 2.0 sacks)
- Round 5, Pick 147: QB Brett Hundley, UCLA (3155 yards, 22 TDs, 5 INTs)
- Round 6, Pick 206: FB Aaron Ripkowski, Texas (14 plays, 54 yards 5 TDs)
- Round 6, Pick 210: DE Christian Ringo, UL Lafayette (45 tackles, 11.5 sacks)
- Round 6, Pick 213: TE Kennard Backman, UAB (39 rec, 399 yards, 3 TDs)
Green Bay Packers 2015 Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Sun, Sep 13 GB (-4) @ Chicago 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 2 Sun, Sep 20 GB (-1) vs Seattle 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 3 Mon, Sep 28 GB (-5.5) vs Kansas City 8:30 PM ESPN
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 GB (pk) @ San Francisco 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 5 Sun, Oct 11 GB (-5.5) vs St. Louis 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 6 Sun, Oct 18 GB (-5.5) vs San Diego 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 7 BYE WEEK
- Week 8 Sun, Nov 1 GB (+1) @ Denver 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 GB (-3) @ Carolina 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 10 Sun, Nov 15 GB (-5) vs Detroit 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 GB (-3) @ Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 12 Thu, Nov 26 GB (-7.5) vs Chicago 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 13 Thu, Dec 3 GB (pk) @ Detroit 8:25 PM CBS/NFL
- Week 14 Sun, Dec 13 GB (-4.5) vs Dallas 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 15 Sun, Dec 20 GB (-7) @ Oakland 4:05 PM FOX
- Week 16 Sun, Dec 27 GB (pk) @ Arizona 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 17 Sun, Jan 3 vs Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX
Connect With Green Bay Packers:
The Green Bay Packers are one of the few that got better during the off-season by doing nothing. They should of beating the Seahawks in January and would of beaten the Pats in for Super Bowl 49.
How To Bet The 2015 Green Bay Packers Futures: Packers will go 12-4 in 2015 and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.