Breaking Down The 2015 Miami Dolphins
It's the fourth year under head coach Joe Philbin in Miami and the Dolphins are stuck in neutral. The last two years have ended in an 8-8 record, and the previous two ended with 7-9 and 6-10. The Dolphis are loaded with talent and improved over the offseason with the acquisition of the most coveted free agent on either side of the ball: DT Ndamukong Suh.
In order to sign Suh, the Dolphins had to let veteran defensive linemen Randy Starks and Jared Odrick walk away. The presence of Suh should shake up Tom Brady’s ability to sit back in the pocket and fling footballs all over the field, because the best way to beat the superstar is by rushing him straight up the gut. Add the emergence of DE Cameron Wake and this squad has a chance to dethrone the Pats as AFC East champs. The NFL odds makers have the Dolphins listed at 33/1 to win Super Bowl 50.
Miami Dolphins 2015 Betting Preview
QB Tannehill got the elite contract in the offseason, now can he play elite?
- 2014 Season Summary: 8-8-0, Finished 3rd in AFC East Division
- Points Scored: 388 points (24.2/g), 11th of 32 in the NFL.
- Points Allowed: 373 points (23.3/g), 20th.
- Head Coach: Joe Philbin
- Offensive Coordinator: Bill Lazor
- Defensive Coordinator: Kevin Coyle
- Stadium: Sun Life Stadium
Miami Dolphins 2015 Betting Odds:
- To Win Super Bowl 50 +3350
- To Win the AFC +1600
- To Win the AFC East -150
Miami Dolphins Betting Trends:
- 2014 Overall Against the Spread Record: 7-9
- ATS Record at home: 3-5
- ATS Record away from home: 4-4
- ATS Record as favorites: 4-5
- ATS Record as underdogs: 3-4
- Over/Under Record: 7-9
AFC East 2014 Standings:
|New England||12||4||0||.750||468||313||7-1||5-3||4-2||.667||9-3||.750||3-1||Lost 1|
|N.Y. Jets||4||12||0||.250||283||401||2-6||2-6||1-5||.167||4-8||.333||0-4||Won 1|
2015 Miami Dolphins Offense:
How happy are the Dolphis with QB Ryan Tannehill? To the tune of six years for $96 million, $21.5 million of that is fully guaranteed. At first glance the figures provide enough shock value for a player like Tannehill (4045 yards, 27 TDs, 12 INTS & 92.8 rating) as he has yet to fully emerge as a top tier talent.
The offense lost WR Mike Wallace, who never emerged as a top target for the Dolphins, to Minnesota and WR Brandon Gibson to the New England Patriots. To counter the losses, the Miami front office was aggressive in free agency by adding veteran WR Greg Jennings (59 rec, 742 yards, 6 TDs), WR Kenny Stills (63 rec, 931 yards, 3 TDs) and TE Jordan Cameron (24 rec, 424 yards, 2 TDs). They also used the draft to add first-round pick WR DeVante Parker, from Louisville.
RB Lamar Miller (216 att, 1099 yards, 8 TDs) had his first 1000+ yard rushing year of his career and will is poised to continue to take the lead in the backfield in 2015. The Dolphins ranked 14th in total offense last year, split at 14th for passing 12th while rushing.
- Key Additions: TE Cameron Jordan, WR Greg Jennings, QB Josh Freeman, WR Kenny Still.
- Key Departures: TE Charles Clay, WR Brandon Gibson, WR Brian Hartline, G Shelley Smith.
Projected 2015 Dolphins' Offensive Starters:
- QB Ryan Tannehill
- WR Kenny Stills
- WR DeVante Parker
- WR Jarvis Landry
- TE Jordan Cameron
- RB Lamar Miller
- LT Branden Albert
- LG Dallas Thomas
- C Mike Pouncey
- RT Ja'Wuan James
- RG Billy Turner
2015 Miami Dolphins Defense:
Miami's defense is embarrassingly inconsistant. The Dolphins collapsed on that side of the football and finished 24th against the run (121.1 yards) and 20th in points allowed per game (23.3) thus leading to the biggest off-season signing of the year of Suh. He will make fellow DE Cameron Wake only better.
“I like the way on defense that we’ve – I know it’s simple – but I like our pursuit on defense,” Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin said. “I think with the way we’ve been running to the football, I think that in my mind if we now combine that with tackling, that should eliminate some or limit some explosive plays."
This offseason, Philbin asked defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle to simplify Miami's scheme this season to prevent communication and mental errors. Too often, players and coaches were not on the same page last year with play calls, assignments and substitution rotations, which led to some contentious moments.
- Key Additions: DT Ndamukong Suh, CB Zack Bowman, CB Brian McCain, OLB Spencer Paysinger.
- Key Departures: LB Jonathan Freeney, DT Jared Odrick, DT Randy Starks, MLB Jason Trusnik, OLB Phillip Wheeler, SS Jimmy Wilson.
Projected Dolphins 2015 Defensive Starters (Base 4-3 D):
- DE Cameron Wake
- DT Earl Mitchell
- DT Ndamukong Suh
- DE Olivier Vernon
- OLB Spencer Paysinger
- MLB Koa Misi
- OLB Jelani Jenkins
- CB Brent Grimes
- CB Jamar Taylor
- SS Louis Delmas
- FS Reshad Jones
Miami Dolphins 2015 Draft Class
- Round 1, Pick 14: WR DeVante Parker, Louisville (43 rec, 855 yards, 5 TDs)
- Round 2, Pick 52: DT Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma (39 tackles, 2.0 sacks)
- Round 4, Pick 114: G Jamil Douglas, Arizona State
- Round 5, Pick 145 CB Bobby McCain, Memphis (46 tackles, 5 INTs)
- Round 5, Pick 149: RB Jay Ajayi, Boise State (347 att, 1823 yards, 28 TDs)
- Round 5, Pick 150: S Ced Thompson, Minnesota (83 tackles, 2 INTs)
- Round 6, Pick 217: DT Rakeem Nunez-Roches, Southern Miss (58 tackles, 3.0 sacks)
- Round 5, Pick 156: WR Tony Lippett, Michigan State (65 rec, 1198 yards, 11 TDs)
Miami Dolphins 2015 Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Sun, Sep 13 (MIA -2) @ Washington 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 2 Sun, Sep 20 (MIA -4) @ Jacksonville 4:05 PM CBS
- Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 (MIA -2) vs Buffalo 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 (MIA -3.5) vs New York Jets 9:30 AM CBS
- Week 5 BYE WEEK
- Week 6 Sun, Oct 18 (MIA -3) @ Tennessee 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 7 Sun, Oct 25 (MIA -3) vs Houston 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 8 Thu, Oct 29 (MIA +5.5) @ New England 8:25 PM CBS/NFL
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 (MIA +2) @ Buffalo 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 10 Sun, Nov 15 (MIA +3.5) @ Philadelphia 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 (MIA -1) vs Dallas 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 12 Sun, Nov 29 (MIA -1.5) @ New York Jets 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 13 Sun, Dec 6 (MIA pick'em) vs Baltimore 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 14 Mon, Dec 14 (MIA -3) vs New York Giants 8:30 PM ESPN
- Week 15 Sun, Dec 20 (MIA -3) @ San Diego 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 16 Sun, Dec 27 (MIA pick'em) vs Indianapolis 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 17 Sun, Jan 3 vs New England 1:00 PM CBS
Miami's playoff hopes rest on the performance of newly aquired Suh, who is very tough and has a well-documented mean streak, was a big step in that direction in overpowering Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.
Miami Dolphins NFL Futures Betting Predictions: 11-5 on the season.
Connect With The Miami Dolphins: