Breaking Down The 2015 New York Jets
It’s easy to blame the New York Jets woes on the dearly departed head coach Rex Ryan and former GM John Idzik but after six fruitless seasons of underwhelming QBs and Idzik's penny pinching the Jets are moving on.
New head coach Todd Bowles is walking into the same situation that Ryan wandered his way into back in 2009 when he became the Jets coach: a championship D, some solid targets down field and a huge question mark under center.
Can new GM Mike Maccagnan provide Bowles with the personnel to make the Jets a winning team? The NFL odds makers have the Jets listed at 50/1 odds to win Super Bowl 50 and that should fill no one of confidence.
New York Jets 2015 Betting Preview
Are the Jets poised to make a legitimate run at the AFC East crown -- or, at least, a wild-card slot?
- 2014 Season Summary: 4-12-0, Finished 4th in AFC East Division
- Points Scored 283 points (17.7/g), 28th of 32 in the NFL.
- Points Allowed 401 points (25.1/g), 24th.
- Coach: Todd Bowles
- Offensive Coordinator: Chan Gailey
- Defensive Coordinator: Kacy Rogers
- Stadium: MetLife Stadium
NY Jets 2015 Betting Odds:
- To Win Super Bowl 50 +7000
- To Win the AFC +2800
- To Win the AFC East +900
NY Jets Betting Trends:
- 2014 Overall Against the Spread Record: 6-9-1
- ATS Record at home: 3-5
- ATS Record away from home: 3-5
- ATS Record as favorites: 1-4
- ATS Record as underdogs: 5-5-1
- Over/Under Record: 7-9
AFC East 2014 Standings:
|New England||12||4||0||.750||468||313||7-1||5-3||4-2||.667||9-3||.750||3-1||Lost 1|
|N.Y. Jets||4||12||0||.250||283||401||2-6||2-6||1-5||.167||4-8||.333||0-4||Won 1|
2015 New York Jets Offense:
The NY Jets offense was embarrassing last season under quarterback Geno Smith (2525 yards, 13 TDs, 13 INTs & 77.5 rating) and new head-coach Todd Bowles knows Smith isn't his man. Geno will have to battle it out with Ryan Fitzpatrick (2483 yards, 17 TDs & 8 INTs with the Houston Texans) and rookie Bryce Petty, who was drafted in the fourth round of the 2015 NFL draft from the Baylor Bears.
New York had the 22nd-ranked total offense in 2014 even while ranking 3rd in rushing in the league and that was due to their dead last passing offense. The rushing unit added ex-Patriot Stevan Ridley (94 att, 340 yards, 2 TDs), to be the change of pace back behind pound the line rusher Chris Ivory (198 att, 821 yards, 6 TDs). Joining WR Eric Decker (74 rec, 962 yards, 5 TDs) will be WR Brandon Marshall (61 rec, 721 yards, 8 TDs with the Chicago Bears), who was was signed to be the top target in the end-zone.
- Key Additions: G James Carpenter, TE Kellen Davis, RB Stevan Ridley, WR Brandon Marshall.
- Key Departures: WR Percy Harvin, QB Michael Vick, RB Chris Johnson.
Jets' Projected 2015 Offensive Starters:
- QB Geno Smith
- WR Eric Decker
- WR Brandon Marshall
- TE Jeff Cumberland
- RB Chris Ivory
- FB Tommy Bohanon
- LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
- LG James Carpenter
- C Nick Mangold
- RG Willie Colon
- RT Breno Giacomini
2015 New York Jets Defense:
The Jets D has been a household name during the Rex Ryan and Eric Mangini eras. Can new head-coach Bowles keep the tradition alive?
The Jets were 30th in total defense, 30th against the pass and 17th at stopping the run all mostly because of outgoing management's penny pinching ways that failed to provide Ryan a serviceable D to field. But this year new management has backed up their "Under New Management" sign by reuniting the DB duo of Darrelle Revis & Antonio Cromartie and adding beast rookie DE Leonard Williams from USC, this 3-4 defensive line is so good that their second-stringers could start on most other team's top units.
- Key Additions: CB Antonio Cromartie, CB Darrelle Revis, SS Marcus Gilchrist, ILB Jamari Lattimore, ILB Joe Mays, CB Buster Skrine.
- Key Departures: CB Philip Adams, LB Nick Bellore, CB Kyle Wilson, DE Kendrick Ellis.
Jets' Projected 2015 Defensive Starters (3-4 D):
- DE Muhammad Wilkerson
- NT Damon Harrison
- DE Sheldon Richardson
- OLB Quinton Coples
- OLB Calvin Pace
- ILB Demario Davis
- ILB David Harris
- CB Darrelle Revis
- CB Antonio Cromartie
- SS Calvin Pryor
- FS Marcus Gilchrist
New York Jets 2015 Draft Class
- Round 1, Pick 6: DE Leonard Williams, USC (80 tackles, 9.5 sacks)
- Round 2, Pick 37: WR Devin Smith, Ohio State (33 rec, 931 yards, 12 TDs)
- Round 3, Pick 82: OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville (51 tackles, 6.5 sacks)
- Round 4, Pick 103: QB Bryce Petty, Baylord (3855 yards, 29 TDs & 7 INTs)
- Round 5, Pick 152: G Jarvis Harrison, Texas A&M
- Round 7, Pick 227: DT Deon Simon, Northwestern State
2015 NY Jets Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Sun, Sep 13 (NYJ -2) vs Cleveland 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 2 Mon, Sep 21 (NYJ +7.5) @ Indianapolis 8:30 PM | ESPN
- Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 (NYJ +2.5) vs Philadelphia 1:00 PM | FOX
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 (NYJ +3) @ Miami 9:30 AM | CBS
- Week 5 BYE WEEK
- Week 6 Sun, Oct 18 (NYJ -2) vs Washington 1:00 PM | FOX
- Week 7 Sun, Oct 25 (NYJ +8.5) @ New England 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 8 Sun, Nov 1 (NYJ pk) @ Oakland 4:05 PM | CBS
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 (NYJ -5) vs Jacksonville 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 10 Thu, Nov 12 (NYJ +1) vs Buffalo 8:25 PM | NFL
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 (NYJ +5) @ Houston 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 12 Sun, Nov 29 (NYJ +1.5) vs Miami 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 13 Sun, Dec 6 (NYJ -5) @ New York Giants 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 14 Sun, Dec 13 (NYJ -4) vs Tennessee 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 15 Sat, Dec 19 (NYJ +7.5) @ Dallas 8:25 PM | NFL
- Week 16 Sun, Dec 27 (NYJ +4.5) vs New England 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 17 Sun, Jan 3 @ Buffalo 1:00 PM | CBS
New York Jets Social Media:
NY Jets NFL Futures Betting Predictions: The Jets are better because their D is better, but questions under center combined with a first year HC and GM, I forsee the Jets going 6-10.