Breaking Down The 2015 Oakland Raiders
The 2015 Oakland Raiders are ready to pop or burst. They are loaded with a great combination of experience and young talent. DE Justin Tuck, safety Charles Woodson, QB Derek Carr, linebacker Khalil Mack, RB Latavius Murray and new head-coach Jack Del Rio's shiny new toy: beast rookie WR Amari Cooper are just a few to name.
The 12 year post-season drought is not likely to end yet, but Raiders fans should be hopeful because this team’s young talent is envy of the AFC West. While the other teams top talents are ageing out of their primes, the Raiders are about 2–3 years from hitting their stride.
After adding up all the factors, the NFL odds makers have the Oakland Raiders listed as 66–1 long shots to win Super Bowl 50.
Oakland Raiders 2015 Betting Preview
Is this finally the year the Raiders get out of the AFC West basement?
- 2014 Season Summary: 3-13-0, Finished 4th in AFC West Division
- 2014 Points Scored: 253 points (15.8/g), 31st of 32 in the NFL.
- 2014 Points Allowed: 452 points (28.2/g), 32nd.
- Coach: Jack Del Rio
- Offensive Coordinator: Bill Musgrave
- Defensive Coordinator: Ken Norton
- Stadium: O.co Coliseum
Oakland Raiders 2014 Betting Odds:
- To Win Super Bowl 50: +35000
- To Win the AFC: +8000
- To Win the AFC West: +3500
Oakland Raiders 2014 Betting Trends:
- Overall Against the Spread Record: 8-8
- ATS Record at home: 4-4
- ATS Record away from home: 4-4
- ATS Record as favorites: 0-0
- ATS Record as underdogs: 8-8
- Over/Under Record: 10-6
AFC West 2014 Standings:
|Kansas City||9||7||0||.562||353||281||6-2||3-5||3-3||.500||7-5||.583||2-2||Won 1|
|San Diego||9||7||0||.562||348||348||5-3||4-4||2-4||.333||6-6||.500||3-1||Lost 1|
2015 Oakland Raiders Offense:
The Raiders’ future is dependant on the development of sophomore QB Derek Carr (3270 yards, 21 TDs & 12 INTs, 76.6 rating) and neither head coach Del Rio or OC Bill Musgrave are known for having coached or developed young QBs as their history as coach and offensive co-ordinator, respectively, in Jacksonville.
The Raiders’ brain-trust did bring in some help for Carr after struggling to find reliable targets downfield last year. First Oakland signed WR Michael Crabtree (68 rec, 698 yards, 4 TDs with San Francisco) and then drafted stud WR Amari Cooper 4th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.
The front office also added serial under-preforming rusher Trent Richardson (68 rec, 698 yards, 4 TDs) in hopes he can be used in short yardage situations while breakout star Latavius Murray (82 att, 424 yards, 2 TDs) will be the main attraction int he backfield.
“Right now he's [Murray] been running with the lead group, but he knows that he has to earn that through camp, through the preseason, but he's done a nice job this offseason. He's taking steps and growing as a player”, head coach Jack Del Rio said.
- Key Additions: WR Michael Crabtree, RB Roy Helu, C Rodney Hudson, QB Christian Ponder, RB Trent Richardson, TE Lee Smith.
- Key Departures: WR Vincent Brown, WR James Jones, RB Darren McFadden, Denarius Moore, QB Matt Schaub.
Oakland Raiders 2015 Projected Offensive Starters:
- QB Derek Carr
- WR Michael Crabtree
- WR Amari Cooper
- TE Mychal Rivera
- FB Marcel Reece
- RB Latavius Murray
- LT Donald Penn
- LG Gabe Jackson
- C Rodney Hudson
- RG Khalif Barnes
- RT Austin Howard
2015 Oakland Raiders Defense:
Newly minted head coach Jack Del Rio and incoming defensive co-ordinator Ken Norton, who was the linebacker coach for Seattle Seahawks, were both brought in to make this defense a championship defense.
To plug the holes behind stud DE Justin Tuck, beast LB Khalil Mack and safety Charles Woodson, the Raiders brought in OLBs Curtis Lofton, Malcolm Smith, and strong safety Nate Allen to beef up the middle. At the draft another five defensive players were brought in for depth behind the starters.
“There’s a mindset that I believe you have to have. I think it begins with the head coach. It permeates throughout the organization, and there’s a mentality that we want to conduct ourselves with. There’s a physical-ness, there’s a tenacity that we want to play with. We want to be willing to do some of the tough things that benefit the good of the team, and understand what it looks like to be unselfish and to carry out your assignment”, Del Rio added.
- Key Additions: SS Nate Allen, DB James Dockery, ILB Curtis Lofton, OLB Malcom Smith, NT Dan Williams.
- Key Departures: SS Tyvon Branch, DB Chimdi Chekwa, DT Pat Sims, DT Antonio Brown, DE LaMarr Woodley.
Oakland Raiders 2015 Projected Defensive Starters (4-3 D):
- DE Justin Tuck
- DT Justin Ellis
- DT Dan Williams
- DE Mario Edwards Jr.
- WLB Sio Moore
- MLB Curtis Lofton
- SLB Khalil Mack
- CB T.J. Carrie
- CB D.J. Hayden
- SS Nate Allen
- FS Charles Woodson
Oakland Raiders 2015 Draft Class:
- Round 1, Pick 4: DWR Amari Cooper, Alabama (124 rec, 1727 yards, 16 TDs)
- Round 2, Pick 35: DE Mario Edwards Jr., Florida State (44 tackles, 3.0 sacks)
- Round 3, Pick 68: TE Clive Walford, Miami (FL) (44 rec, 676 yards, 7 TDs)
- Round 4, Pick 128: G Jon Feliciano, Miami (FL)
- Round 5, Pick 140: ILB Ben Heeney, Kansas (49 tackles, 2.0 sacks)
- Round 5, Pick 161: OLB Neiron Ball, Florida (41 tackles, 7.0 sacks)
- Round 6, Pick 179: ILB Max Valles, Virginia (55 tackles, 9.0 sacks)
- Round 7, Pick 218: OT Anthony Morris, Tennessee State
- Round 7, Pick 221: KR Andre Debose, Florida (21 ret, 519 yards, 0 TDs)
- Round 7, Pick 242: CB Dexter McDonald, Kansas (35 tackles, 2 INTs)
Oakland Raiders 2015 Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Sun, Sep 13 OAK (+3.5) vs Cincinnati 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 2 Sun, Sep 20 OAK (+5) vs Baltimore 4:05 PM CBS
- Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 OAK (+4.5) @ Cleveland 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 OAK (+6) @ Chicago 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 5 Sun, Oct 11 OAK (+6.5) vs Denver 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 6 BYE WEEK
- Week 7 Sun, Oct 25 OAK (-8) @ San Diego 4:05 PM CBS
- Week 8 Sun, Nov 1 OAK (pk) vs New York Jets 4:05 PM CBS
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 OAK (+9.5) @ Pittsburgh 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 10 Sun, Nov 15 OAK (+1.5) vs Minnesota 4:05 PM FOX
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 OAK (+8.5) @ Detroit 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 12 Sun, Nov 29 OAK (+2) @ Tennessee 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 13 Sun, Dec 6 OAK (+3.5) vs Kansas City 4:05 PM CBS
- Week 14 Sun, Dec 13 OAK (+10.5) @ Denver 4:05 PM CBS
- Week 15 Sun, Dec 20 OAK (+7) vs Green Bay 4:05 PM FOX
- Week 16 Thu, Dec 24 OAK (+3.5) vs San Diego 8:25 PM NFL
- Week 17 Sun, Jan 3 @ Kansas City 1:00 PM CBS
The Raiders should improve and win several games this season, but a playoffs spot is not a reality for them in 2015.
How To Bet the 2015 Oakland Raiders Futures: Raiders will surprise the AFC West by going 7-9
Connect With The Oakland Raiders: