Breaking Down The 2015 Philadelphia Eagles
These aren't Andy Reid's Philadelphia Eagles after head coach Chip Kelly's mad scientist-esque moves have everyone's heads-a-scratching. Gone are players that didn't fit his style of football or didn't buy into his philosophy and now this team's success and failure will be his alone.
Gone are pro-bowlers QB Nick Foles, RB LeSean McCoy, WRs Jeremy Maclin & DeSean Jackson. Has Kelly done enough to replace that firepower? Will the 10 new starters -- five on offense, five on defense -- have enough of an impact to push this team into the post-season?
Philadelphia Eagles 2015 Betting Preview
Philadelphia is all in on Chip Kelly and Eagles fans should be afraid.
- 2014 Season Summary: 10-6-0, Finished 2nd in NFC East Division
- 2014 Points Scored: 474 points (29.6/g), 3rd of 32 in the NFL.
- 2014 Points Allowed: 400 points (25.0/g), 22nd.
- Coach: Chip Kelly
- Offensive Coordinator: Pat Shurmur
- Defensive Coordinator: Bill Davis
- Stadium: Lincoln Financial Field
Philadelphia Eagles 2015 Betting Odds:
- To Win Super Bowl 50 +2350
- To Win the NFC +900
- To Win the NFC East +175
Philadelphia Eagles 2014 Betting Trends:
- Overall Against the Spread Record: 10-6
- ATS Record at home: 5-3
- ATS Record away from home: 5-3
- ATS Record as favorites: 7-3
- ATS Record as underdogs: 3-3
- Over/Under Record: 10-5-1
NFC East 2014 Standings:
|N.Y. Giants||6||10||0||.375||380||400||3-5||3-5||2-4||.333||4-8||.333||2-2||Lost 1|
2015 Philadelphia Eagles Offense:
After two years of mostly minor tweaks, Kelly made some bold moves in 2014 leading most to believe the Eagles were poised for the re-teaming of Kelly and QB Marcus Mariota. As entertaining as that would have been, it did not materialize and the Eagles are left with three unproved QBs: Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez (2,418 yards, 14 TDs & 11 INTs, 88.4 rating) & Tim Tebow. Two of whom did not play a single snap during the regular season last year and the third, Sanchez, who started 9 games last season.
New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford jabs at trio of Eagles QBs, comparing them to automobiles. http://t.co/mMv7geUMcB— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) June 28, 2015
Bradford was the Rams first overall pick in the 2010 draft and spent five seasons in St. Louis. Injuries ruined two of those seasons. In his five years, Bradford never lived up to being a top pick, mostly due to lack of personnel and the aforementioned injuries. He has played 49 games in the NFL with 59 TDs and 38 INTs in that span, but has only started seven games since 2013.
Kelly also went and swapped one of the most productive and durable backs (LeSean McCoy traded to the Bills) and brought in injury-prone DeMarco Murray (392 att, 1845 yards, 13 TDs with the Dallas Cowboys) who led all tailbacks in yards last season. Concerns over his ability to play a full season are rampant as 2014 was the first time he has started 16 games in his NFL career. Murray is a much more physical runner, and Kelly feels that style is a better fit for his offense.
The Eagles also signed another injury-case runner in former Charger Ryan Mathews (74 att, 330 yards, 3 TDs with the San Diego Chargers). But just like Murray, Mathews is talented but often injured. If Mathews can revert back to his form of a couple years ago, the Eagles may have the best running back duo in the league.
Replacing Pro-Bowl WRs Jackson and Maclin are unproven Jordan Matthews (67 rec, 872 yards, 8 TDs) and Eagles' 2015 first round pick Nelson Agholor is an excellent route runner with deep speed. Sophomore Josh Huff showed flashes of great play in his first season, and coming from Oregon, he knows the offense.
Don't forget that Kelly, who has full personnel control, also signed QB Tim Tebow to compete for the starting QB job.
"I have seen an improvement from Tim since the day we got him in terms of his knowledge of what we're doing, understanding where everybody is," Kelly said to the Delaware County Times via NFL.com. "There's a whole process, and for him what we have done is different than what he's done anywhere else.
"So in terms of learning our terminology and how we do things, I think each week you've seen an incremental bump in him, so we're excited to see where that takes him and it'll be a good competition as we get into August."
- Key Additions: WR Seyl Ajirotutu, WR Miles Austin, RB Ryan Matthews, RB DeMarco Murray, QB Tim Tebow
- Key Departures: G Todd Herremans, WR Jeremy Maclin, RB LeSean McCoy.
Philadelphia Eagles 2015 Projected Offensive Starters:
- QB Sam Bradford
- WR Nelson Agholor
- WR Jordan Matthews
- TE Zach Ertz
- TE Brent Celek
- RB DeMarco Murray
- LT Jason Peters
- LG Evan Mathis
- C Jason Kelce
- RG Allen Barbre
- RT Lane Johnson
2015 Philadelphia Eagles Defense:
This is DC Bill Davis' make-or-break season after ranking 29th and 28th the past two seasons, respectively, in total yards allowed. The Eagles defense has suffered from a porous secondary and growing pains from shifting this Eagles defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 formation in his first year in Philly.
To fix this defense, in the offseason Kelly let SS Nate Allen, CBs Bradley Fletcher & Cary Williams walk in the free agency, and then brought in DBs Byron Maxwell and Walter Thurmond. Kelly also four defensive players out of seven picks -- three cornerbacks and one defensive ended -- in the 2015 NFL draft.
Davis has the right pieces for his secondary and possesses continuity and familiarity within the front seven to take this defense to a Super Bowl.
- Key Additions: FS EJ Biggers, CB Byron Maxwell, Walter Thurmond.
- Key Departures: SS Nate Allen, OLB Trent Cole, CB Bradley Fletcher, ILB Matthews Casey, CB Gary Williams.
Projected 2015 Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Starters (Base 3-4 D):
- DE Cedric Thornton
- NT Bennie Logan
- DE Fletcher Cox
- OLB Connor Barwin
- ILB DeMeco Ryans
- ILB Mychal Kendricks
- OLB Brandon Graham
- CB Eric Rowe
- CB Byron Maxwell
- SS Malcolm Jenkins
- FS Earl Wolff
Philadelphia Eagles 2015 Draft Class:
- Round 1, Pick 20: WR Nelson Agholor, USC (104 rec, 1313, 12 TDs)
- Round 2, Pick 47: CB Eric Rowe, Utah (59 tackles, 1 INT)
- Round 3, Pick 84: ILB Jordan Hicks, Texas (107 tackles, 3.5 sacks)
- Round 6, Pick 191: CB JaCorey Shepherd, Kansas (30 tackles, 3 INT)
- Round 6, Pick 196: CB Randall Evans, Kansas State (64 tackles, 4 INTs)
- Round 7, Pick 237: DE Brian Mihalik, Boston College (31 tackles, 4.5 sacks)
Philadelphia Eagles 2015 Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Mon, Sep 14 (PHI -1) @ Atlanta 7:10 PM | ESPN
- Week 2 Sun, Sep 20 (PHI -2) vs Dallas 4:25 PM | FOX
- Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 (PHI -2.5) @ New York Jets 1:00 PM | FOX
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 (PHI -2.5) @ Washington 1:00 PM | FOX
- Week 5 Sun, Oct 11 (PHI -4) vs New Orleans 1:00 PM | FOX
- Week 6 Mon, Oct 19 (PHI -4) vs New York Giants 8:30 PM | ESPN
- Week 7 Sun, Oct 25 (PHI pk) @ Carolina 8:30 PM | NBC
- Week 8 BYE WEEK
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 (PHI +2.5) @ Dallas 8:30 PM | NBC
- Week 10 Sun, Nov 15 (PHI -3.5) vs Miami 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 (PHI -8.5) vs Tampa Bay 1:00 PM | FOX
- Week 12 Thu, Nov 26 (PHI +2) @ Detroit 12:30 PM | FOX
- Week 13 Sun, Dec 6 (PHI +4) @ New England 4:25 PM | FOX
- Week 14 Sun, Dec 13 (PHI -3.5) vs Buffalo 1:00 PM | CBS
- Week 15 Sun, Dec 20 (PHI -1.5) vs Arizona 1:00 PM | FOX
- Week 16 Sat, Dec 26 (PHI -7) vs Washington 8:25 PM | NFL
- Week 17 Sun, Jan 3 @ New York Giants 1:00 PM | FOX
The Eagles have alot of off-season changes to catch up on. This roster will need time to gel, but an un-competitive NFC East will propel the Eagles to a NFC Wild Card birth.
How To Bet The Philadelphia Eagles In The 2015 NFL Futures: 10-6 and a Wild Card team out of the NFC
Connect With The Philadelphia Eagles: