Breaking Down The 2015 San Francisco 49ers
The San Francisco 49ers struggled on and off the field last season, finishing the disappointing season with an 8-8 record after reaching three straight NFC Championship games. The tumultuous season ended with a house-cleaning that including the firing of head-coach Jim Harbaugh & his coaching staff, along with several players from the roster being passed over during the off-season.
The NFL odds makers have listed the 2015 San Francisco 49ers at 40-1 odds to win Super Bowl 50 which doesn't bode well for new 49ers head-coach Jim Tomsula.
“I look at that as a team that’s almost in a start-over situation,” a front-office executive with another NFL franchise said earlier in the offseason. “You have some continuity with the quarterback [Colin Kaepernick]. But you’re talking about a new coach and so many new parts all over the place. I think that’ll take a few years to get back to the level where they were.”
San Francisco 49ers 2015 Betting Preview
The post Harbaugh-era has arrived in San Fran!
- 2014 Season Summary: 8-8-0, Finished 3rd in NFC West
- 2014 Points Scored: 306 points (19.1/g), 25th of 32 in the NFL.
- 2014 Points Allowed: 340 points (21.2/g), 10th.
- Coach: Jim Tomsula
- Offensive Coordinator: Geep Chryst
- Defensive Coordinator: Eric Mangini
San Francisco 49ers 2015 Betting Odds:
- To Win Super Bowl 50: +5000
- To Win the NFC: +2500
- To Win the NFC West: +1000
San Francisco 49ers 2014 Betting Trends:
- Overall Against the Spread Record: 5-11
- ATS Record at home: 1-7
- ATS Record away from home: 4-4
- ATS Record as favorites: 4-9
- ATS Record as underdogs: 1-2
- Over/Under Record: 5-11
NFC West 2014 Standings:
|San Francisco||8||8||0||.500||306||340||4-4||4-4||2-4||.333||7-5||.583||1-3||Won 1|
|St. Louis||6||10||0||.375||324||354||3-5||3-5||2-4||.333||4-8||.333||2-2||Lost 3|
2015 San Francisco 49ers Offense:
Can the 49ers bounce back from a disappointing 2014 campaign when their pass offense ranked third worst in the league and rush offense ranked fourth best, combining for the 20th-ranked offense?
Colin Kaepernick (3369 yards, 19 TDs & 10 INTs, 86.4 rating) is far from a top-10 NFL quarterback. His mechanics are clunky and defenses have figured him out. The 49ers brain trust even brought in Kurt Warner to be the quarterback whisperer, but will it be enough to save the Niners?
Kaepernick will miss WR Michael Crabtree, who moved to the other side of the bay to join the Raiders, but the 49ers brought in WR Torrey Smith (49 rec, 767 yards, 11 TDs with the Baltimore Ravens) to join WR Anquan Boldin (83 rec, 1062 yards, 5 TDs) who played together on the 2012 Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl winning team against the 49ers.
RB Carlos Hyde (83 att, 333 yards, 4 TDs) will take over the starting job in the back-field after Frank Gore left to join the Colts. He will be joined by veteran RB Reggie Bush (76 att, 297 yards, 2 TDs with the Detroit Lions in 2014) who can bring back the screen pass to this offense.
- Key Additions: WR Torrey Smith, G Erik Pears.
- Key Departures: WR Michael Crabtree, RB Frank Gore, Mike Lupati, QB Josh Johnson, T Jonathan Martin, WR Stevie Johnson.
San Francisco 49ers Projected 2015 Offensive Starters:
- QB Colin Kaepernick
- WR Anquan Boldin
- WR Torrey Smith
- TE Vernon Davis
- FB Bruce Miller
- RB Carlos Hyde
- LT Joe Staley
- LG Alex Boone
- C Daniel Kilgore
- RG Marcus Martin
- RT Erik Pears
2015 San Francisco 49ers Defense:
The San Francisco 49ers defense will try to rebuild after a troubled 2014 campaign which saw the losses of their best defensive player Patrick Willis, Pro-Bowl tackle Justin Smith and future All-Pro inside linebacker Chris Borland when all three retired, respectively. DE Ray McDonald and CB Perrish Cox were dismissed due to off-field issues.
Defensively, NaVorro Bowman should finally be healthy after missing all of 2014 after suffering a grueling injury in the NFC Championship two years ago. Before his injury, Bowman was making a case for being the best linebacker in the league. Can he regain his pro-bowl form?
San Francisco added DT Darnell Dockett from the Arizona Cardinals and OLB Philip Wheeler from the Miami Dolphins in the free agency. They they used their first three round picks to improve the defense.
- Key Additions: WR Torrey Smith, G Erik Pears.
- Key Departures: CB Perrish Cox, Chris Culliver, DE Ray McDonald, OLB Dan Skuta.
San Francisco 49ers Projected 2015 Defensive Starters (Base 3-4 D):
- DE Darnell Dockett
- NT Ian Williams
- DE Tank Carradine
- OLB Aaron Lynch
- ILB NaVorro Bowman
- ILB Michael Wilhoite
- OLB Aldon Smith
- CB Tramaine Brock
- CB Shareece Wright
- SS Antoine Bethea
- FS Eric Reid
San Francisco 49ers 2015 Draft Class:
- Round 1, Pick 17: DE Arik Armstead, Oregon (46 tackles, 2.5 sacks)
- Round 2, Pick46: S Jaquiski Tartt, Samford (1 INT)
- Round 3, Pick 79: OLB Eli Harold, Virginia (54 tackles, 7 INTs)
- Round 4, Pick 117: TE Blake Bell, Oklahoma (16 rec, 214 yards, 4 TDs)
- Round 4, Pick 126: RB Mike Davis, South Carolina (199 att, 982 yards, 9 TDs)
- Round 4, Pick 132: WR DeAndre Smelter, Geogia Tech (35 rec, 715 yards, 7 TDs)
- Round 5, Pick 165: P Bradley Pinion, Clemson
- Round 6, Pick 190: OT Ian Silberman, Boston College
- Round 7, Pick 244: G Trent Brown, Florida
- Round 7, Pick 254: TE Busta Anderson, South Carolina (22 rec, 260 yards, 1 TD)
San Francisco 49ers 2015 Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Mon, Sep 14 SF (-4.5) vs Minnesota 10:20 PM ESPN
- Week 2 Sun, Sep 20 SF (+2.5) @ Pittsburgh 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 SF (+2.5) @ Arizona 4:05 PM FOX
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 SF (pk) vs Green Bay 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 5 Sun, Oct 11 SF (pk) @ New York Giants 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 6 Sun, Oct 18 SF (-2) vs Baltimore 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 7 Thu, Oct 22 SF (+1.5) vs Seattle 8:25 PM CBS/NFL
- Week 8 Sun, Nov 1 SF (-1) @ St. Louis 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 SF (-6) vs Atlanta 4:05 PM FOX
- Week 10 BYE WEEK
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 SF (+5.5) @ Seattle 4:25 PM FOX
- Week 12 Sun, Nov 29 SF (-2) vs Arizona 4:05 PM FOX
- Week 13 Sun, Dec 6 SF (-1) @ Chicago 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 14 Sun, Dec 13 SF (-2.5) @ Cleveland 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 15 Sun, Dec 20 SF (-3) vs Cincinnati 8:30 PM NBC
- Week 16 Sun, Dec 27 SF (+1.5) @ Detroit 1:00 PM FOX
- Wek 17 Sun, Jan 3 vs St. Louis 4:25 PM FOX
San Francisco 49ers Social Media:
The worst case this team will go 3-13 and get a top 5 pick in 2016, best case scenario is 8-8, but alot has to go right to hit that number.
How To Bet The 2015 San Francisco 49ers Futures: 49ers will go 5-11 and miss the playoffs again as they rebuild.