Breaking Down The 2015 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have high hopes heading into their second season under head-coach Lovie Smith and after selecting first in the 2015 NFL entry draft this team will be under the microscope.
How will Jameis Winston perform in his rookie year? Can the defense carry the Bucs? Can the run game get going? With all of these questions in play the NFL odds makers have listed the Tampa Bay Bucs as 100-1 long shots to win Super Bowl 50.
Drafting Jameis Winston improved the chances for long-term success under center and gives this team a franchise QB to build around. The unknown is whether Winston and Dirk Koetter can form the necessary bond between QB and coordinator.
Lovie Smith enters his second season as the Bucs head-coach and with Winston under center the NFL odds makers have listed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as 100-1 longshots to win Super Bowl 50.
Tampa Bay Bucs 2015 Betting Preview
Is Jameis Winston the franchise QB that the Bucs have never had?
- 2014 Season Summary: 2-14-0, Finished 4th in NFC South Division
- 2014 Points Scored 277 points (17.3/g), 29th of 32 in the NFL
- 2014 Points Allowed 410 points (25.6/g), 25th
- Coach: Lovie Smith
- Offensive Coordinator: Dirk Koetter
- Defensive Coordinator: Leslie Frazier
- Stadium: Raymond James Stadium
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2014 Betting Trends:
- Overall Against the Spread Record: 7-9
- ATS Record at home: 2-6
- ATS Record away from home: 5-3
- ATS Record as favorites: 0-3
- ATS Record as underdogs: 7-6
- Over/Under Record: 5-11
NFC South 2014 Standings:
|New Orleans||7||9||0||.438||401||424||3-5||4-4||3-3||.500||6-6||.500||1-3||Won 1|
|Tampa Bay||2||14||0||.125||277||410||0-8||2-6||0-6||.000||1-11||.083||1-3||Lost 6|
2015 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Offense:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have had a black cat's bad luck in the the franchise-quarterback-infested NFC South for nearly a decade now. In 2006 the Saints coup-like signing of Drew Brees, wonky shoulder and all, was the first sign of consistent quality quarterback to plague the Bucs. Then came Matt Ryan and then Cam Newton. Aside from one brief year of brilliance by Josh Freeman, the Bucs have been at the bottom of the quarterback scale for most of that decade.
And now the Bucs have shiny new QB Jameis Winston, who will bring balance to the quarterback field in the NFC South. With Brees aging out of his prime, Ryan hitting a plateau and Newton's development as a passing QB chugging in neutral, Winston has a chance to prove himself as a franchise QB. Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson both were 1,000-yard receivers last season. Do the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the best receivers in the NFC South?
The good thing for Winston is that he will have some weapons to target downfield from the opening volley. WRs Mike Evans (68 rec, 1051 yards, 12 TDs) and Vincent Jackson (70 rec, 1002 yards, 2 TDs) will be his top two targets. And with two TEs, Austin Seferian-Jenkins (21 rec, 221 yards, 2 TDs) and TE Tim Wright (23 rec, 259 yards, 6 TDs with the New England Patriots) , it looks like this offense may borrow from the Pats dual tight end love affair.
Winston's mobility will make up for the Bucs lack of a proven rushing game. Last year a combination of injury and poor play dogged Tampa Bay's backfield. Doug Martin (134 att, 494 yards 2 TDs) was limited to 11 games due to injury, while Charles Sims only played eight games. Either playing staying healthy for a full season should give the team a big boost.
And the Bucs brain trust little to upgrade the backfield. They added a fullback, an undrafted running back, and a journeyman full back/tight end.
- Key Additions: TE Emmanuel Ogbuehl.
- Key Departures: none
Tampa Bay Bucs 2015 Projected Offensive Starters:
- QB Jameis Winston
- WR Vincent Jackson
- WR Mike Evans
- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
- FB Jorvorskie Lane
- RB Doug Martin
- LT Donovan Smith
- LG Logan Mankins
- C Evan Smith
- RG Ali Marpet
- RT Demar Dotson
2015 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defense:
Head-coach Lovie Smith is known for his defensive prowess and brings his years of experience coaching a top 10 defense in Chicago. He was a brilliant defensive coordinator with the Rams and as the architect of the Bears' Tampa 2 scheme for nine seasons.
Smith has come out and said he will be "more involved" with the defense than he was in 2014, when the Bucs finished 25th overall in total defense and allowed 25.6 points per game, the eighth-most in the NFL.
His first year as the Bucs head-coach was hectic with hiring a staff, working with new general manager Jason Licht and dealing with the illness and eventual release of offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford.
"I'm just saying, when you come in initially, there's a lot of things as a head football coach you have to get into play," Smith said. "We've gotten those things into play. My expertise, I'm a head coach because of what I've done on the defensive side. I've been very involved every year I've been a head coach."
- Key Additions: OLB Bruce Carter, DT Melton Henry, DB Sterling Moore
- Key Departures: DE Adrian Clayborn, DE Michael Johnson
Tampa Bay Bucks Projected Defensive Starters (Base 4-3 D):
- DE George Johnson
- DT Gerald McCoy
- DT Clinton McDonald
- DE Jacquies Smith
- WLB Lavonte David
- MLB Bruce Carter
- SLB Danny Lansanah
- CB Alterraun Verner
- CB Johnthan Banks
- SS Bradley McDougald
- FS Major Wright
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2015 Draft Class:
- Round 1, Pick 1: QB Jameis Winston, Florida State (3907 yards, 25 TDs, 18 INTs)
- Round 2, Pick 34: OT Donovan Smith, Penn State
- Round 2, Pick 61: G Ali Marpet, Hobart College
- Round 4, Pick 124: OLB Kwon Alexander, LSU (90 tackles, 1.5 sacks)
- Round 5, Pick 162: WR Kenny Bell, Nebraska (rec 47, 788 yards, 6 TDs)
- Round 6, Pick 184: WR Kaelin Clay, Utah (43 rec, 523 yards, 4 TDs)
- Round 7, Pick 231: RB Joey Iosefa, Hawaii (151 att, 617 yards, 8 TDs)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2015 Schedule and Point Spreads:
- Week 1 Sun, Sep 13 TB (-3) vs Tennessee 4:25 PM CBS
- Week 2 Sun, Sep 20 TB (+6.5) @ New Orleans 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 TB (+6.5) @ Houston 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 4 Sun, Oct 4 TB (+2.5) vs Carolina 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 5 Sun, Oct 11 TB (-3.5) vs Jacksonville 1:00 PM CBS
- Week 6 BYE WEEK
- Week 7 Sun, Oct 25 TB (+4) @ Washington 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 8 Sun, Nov 1 TB (+5.5) @ Atlanta 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 9 Sun, Nov 8 TB (+2) vs New York Giants 4:05 PM FOX
- Week 10 Sun, Nov 15 TB (+4.5) vs Dallas 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 11 Sun, Nov 22 TB (+8.5) @ Philadelphia 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 12 Sun, Nov 29 TB (+9.5) @ Indianapolis 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 13 Sun, Dec 6 TB (+1) vs Atlanta 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 14 Sun, Dec 13 TB (+2.5) vs New Orleans 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 15 Thu, Dec 17 TB (+8) @ St. Louis 8:25 PM NFL
- Week 16 Sun, Dec 27 TB (+1.5) vs Chicago 1:00 PM FOX
- Week 17 Sun, Jan 3 @ Carolina 1:00 PM FOX
Connect With The Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
Jameis Winston is all but a sure thing to become only the fifth QB in the last two decades to start an NFL game in his age-21 season. Three of the others were also first overall selections: Matthew Stafford, Michael Vick and Alex Smith. The fourth? Josh Freeman.
Tampa Bay's foturnes will rise and fall with those of their rookie QB's. The Bucs will be the must bet on team in the underwhelming NFC South that didn't produce a single team with a winning record in 2014.
How To Bet the 2015 Tampa Bay Bucs Futures: Tampa Bay will go 7-9.